Nano Reef - DIY

neo.rbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

This is my first attempt to create a nano reef and I am doing everything by my own.
This is going to be a a 50g system (total, including sump). I have just finished the DT. Later I planned not to drill the tank or use any Overflow so adding a thin barrier with an opening which will pass the water into the sump.
I planned to keep inverts (NO fish) only. Few stuffs that I going to buy but rest of the stuffs I would like to do it by myself.

I have few questions and I need your valuable advice -
1 - Protein Skimmer - Is that necessary if I keep few corals and snails + hermit crab (one)? If needed than, this time I will make one.
2 - Wet-Dry method - is that ok or having a refugium with macro algae and LR will be ok for that kind of live stocks?
3 - I am going to use RO (not sure if it's RO-DI) from the water supplier. I have used this water for my Discuss tank for decades. though the TDS meter never show the reading '0', which is usually 20-22. Will it create problem or I have to find someone who supply Distilled water? Because RO-DI supplier is not available in my locality and setting up RO-DI unit for this nano will not be a good idea.
4 - I planned to use Red Sea Coral Pro as the required quantity is not huge, so I can manage it. I heard it contains most of the elements that a reef system needs. Still I am not sure because none of the reefers in my locality use this. What do you suggest?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back