Nano sapiens 12g Triton Test Results (11/13/14)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano 12g 'mixed reef' (SPS, LPS, Shrooms, Zoas) has been running continuously for 6-1/2 years:

12gOct22014_zpsb85e46e7.jpg

No issues (good fish/coral health and color), but thought it might be interesting to see an element analysis.

12g Nano AIO (no sump) - 6-1/2 years old
50/50 Reef Crystals/Instant Ocean <- for the last year...previously MicroLift)
15%/wk water change
No mechanical or chemical filter media (live rock & live sand only)
Additives: Kalwasser, Kent Concentrated Iodine (3-4 drops/week) and ESV B-Ionic Magnesium

I'd like to see salinity and alkalinity tested and hopefully that's something that can be added in the future.

12gTritonTest2_111314_zps13a2a4c2.jpg

12gTritonTest2_111314_zps8b76ff3b.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd like to see salinity and alkalinity tested and hopefully that's something that can be added in the future.

FWIW, you can get salinity from the amount of sodium, plus a little correction for the magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Yours is just about dead on 35 ppt. :)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!

No skimming?

I'm asking in relation to the iodine, and trying to determine why some people get super high levels (yours is not). :)

Hi Randy

I had very high Iodine readings on my Triton test.

I did a lot of PVC piping work on my sump system, of which is in the basement.

Here are the contents of the primer and the glue.

I have know idea what these chemicals are or if they have anything to do with high iodine.

PUPLE PRIMER
Tetrahydrofuran 109-99-9
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3
Cyclohexanone 108-94-1
Acetone 67-64-1

MEDIUM ORANGE CPVC CEMENT
Tetrahydrofuran 109-99-9
Methyl Ethyl Ketone 78-93-3
CPVC Resin 68648-82-8
Cyclohexanone 108-94-1
Acetone 67-64-1
Amorphous Silica 112945-52-5

Gene

PB140001.jpg

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Randy. Good tip on using the sodium to determine salinity.

No skimming. No macro algae, either. Coralline algae growth has been consistently slow in this tank. Lots of Ricordia and Rhodactis. Feeding consists of a 50/50 dry and frozen twice a day. Apparently, the weekly WCs/gravel vacuuming/microalgae removal are enough to keep the Iodine level in check.

I must admit that I didn't expect P to be that low, especially with the ratio of bioload to water volume of this small tank. It appears that P is quickly bound and/or removed via my maintenance routine. The only export of biomass (other than detritus and a small amount of algae removal) is the occasional removal of Ricordia mass when they start to crowd each other too much.

From the water sample for Triton I carefully tested calcium (425) and magnesium (1325-1330), both Salifert kits and not expired. I'm surprised at the large descrepancy with Triton showing (491) and (1532), respectively. Salifert has quite a good reputation, so I wonder if this lack of precision is typical of hobbyist grade kits in general?

Of the (3) elements in RED (Tin, Bromine and Lithium), from my reading last night it appears that Tin is of some concern, at least in higher concentrations as certain forms can be toxic. Concentrated Bromine is apparently quite reactive and can be used as an effective disinfectant and Lithium has a low toxicity in water except when in very high concentrations. Any other thoughts?

Ralph -

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the water sample for Triton I carefully tested calcium (425) and magnesium (1325-1330), both Salifert kits and not expired. I'm surprised at the large descrepancy with Triton showing (491) and (1532), respectively. Salifert has quite a good reputation, so I wonder if this lack of precision is typical of hobbyist grade kits in general?

Of the (3) elements in RED (Tin, Bromine and Lithium), from my reading last night it appears that Tin is of some concern, at least in higher concentrations as certain forms can be toxic. Concentrated Bromine is apparently quite reactive and can be used as an effective disinfectant and Lithium has a low toxicity in water except when in very high concentrations. Any other thoughts?

When two tests give different results, it is often difficult to know which (if either) is correct.

IMO, that level of lithium is nothing to be concerned about, and likely comes from many sources, but includes salt mixes. I have just a bit less than you and it doesn't concern me. Much of its chemistry isn't all that different than sodium, and it is present at 25,000 times lower concentration. It's biological effects, at least those I know of such as a medicine in humans do not happen at such low concentrations.

The bromine also doesn't concern me at all.

The tin may be more of a concern, and for folks who have elevated tin (I do not), I suggest looking around the tank to see if any metal parts might be near the water. Ehsan (Triton) seemed to correlate it with hose clamps in at least some cases.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When two tests give different results, it is often difficult to know which (if either) is correct.

Good point and something I was pondering. I wonder how Triton's equipment is calibrated. I'd assume there must be a sample solution available with a known and verified value to test against.

IMO, that level of lithium is nothing to be concerned about, and likely comes from many sources, but includes salt mixes. I have just a bit less than you and it doesn't concern me. Much of its chemistry isn't all that different than sodium, and it is present at 25,000 times lower concentration. It's biological effects, at least those I know of such as a medicine in humans do not happen at such low concentrations.

The bromine also doesn't concern me at all.

The tin may be more of a concern, and for folks who have elevated tin (I do not), I suggest looking around the tank to see if any metal parts might be near the water. Ehsan (Triton) seemed to correlate it with hose clamps in at least some cases.

The only metal in the tank is from two stainless steel down spouts that are part of my gravity fed ATOs. The spouts project only about 3/8" into the tank water, but the rest of the 2" spout has a Kalkwasser/RO mix on the inside. The interior and exterior of the tube ends have been spray coated with 5 coats of polyurethane to prevent direct contact with salt water. Since the upper part of the tube is in direct contact with Kalkwasser, this could be an issue that begs the question: "How would stainless react to high pH from the Kalkwasser?"

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only metal in the tank is from two stainless steel down spouts that are part of my gravity fed ATOs. The spouts project only about 3/8" into the tank water, but the rest of the 2" spout has a Kalkwasser/RO mix on the inside. The interior and exterior of the tube ends have been spray coated with 5 coats of polyurethane to prevent direct contact with salt water. Since the upper part of the tube is in direct contact with Kalkwasser, this could be an issue that begs the question: "How would stainless react to high pH from the Kalkwasser?"

Could be from that. It doesn't take much metal corrosion to add trace metals since there's so little present.

At 8 ug/L tin, there is less than 0.2 mg in the whole 12 gallon tank. A piece of tin 1 mm on a side has 35 times that amount.

But, tin is not an intentional ingredient in most stainless steel, so I have no idea if it comes from stainless steel, or something else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, this lists some possible sources of tin:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp55-c2.pdf

from it (my highlighting):
Major uses of tin:
include cans and containers, electrical, construction, and transportation. Industrially important tin
compounds can be categorized as inorganic (those without a tin-carbon bond) and organic (those having a
tin-carbon bond). Inorganic tin compounds are used in the glass industry, and also serve as the base for
the formulation of colors, as catalysts, and in perfumes and soaps. The major commercial applications for
organotin compounds are as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) heat stabilizers, biocides, catalysts, agrochemicals,
and glass coatings.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inorganic tin compounds are used in the glass industry, and also serve as the base for
the formulation of colors, as catalysts, and in perfumes and soaps. The major commercial applications for
organotin compounds are as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) heat stabilizers, biocides, catalysts, agrochemicals,
and glass coatings.

Hmmm, would be interesting to see if these elevated tin levels are occuring in acrylic tanks, too.

Ralph -

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point and something I was pondering. I wonder how Triton's equipment is calibrated. I'd assume there must be a sample solution available with a known and verified value to test against.

FWIW, there are commercial standards that are used to calibrate such machines. Known concentrations of each ion required to be measured. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back