Nanobox Large Retro - Experience & Review

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post my experience and thoughts on this light in hopes of helping others looking into upgrading etc.

Bottom line: Experience not the best. Light is fantastic.

Ordered the light in February and if I remember correctly it took about 4 weeks for delivery. Not a big deal however as I asked Nanobox to hold off on it while I was deciding if I should ditch the stock hood or not (ditching the hood would have required me to purchase a different light). I decided to keep the stock hood as I have kids, a dog, and lots of dust in the summers. I was just getting all of my equipment and setting things up slowly so the delivery timeframe wasn't an issue for me. I didn't mind. They did refund the $15 some odd dollars on their own account because it took so long though. Wasn't completely necessary but appreciated nonetheless.

Received the light and started my install. No instructions come with the light, however there are some videos that show an install on a JBJ on the Nanobox website. The heatsink and driver board requires some plastic spacers and screws that do not come in the kit. Plan on a hardware store run and $10-20 in miscellaneous small parts.
IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2901.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

I installed the Bluefish app on a my phone and had some hiccups with the initial 'blinkup' process but it eventually took and was working. So I installed the hood on the tank and my initial reaction was that it was just 'ok'. There was no real "wow" factor initially. It looked very white and no matter what settings I set them on, the colors just never quite looked right.

So a month or so went by of use before I started really tinkering with it. This is when I noticed the White/Mint and the Royal Blue channels were reversed!

IMG_2913.PNG

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2916.PNG

IMG_2915.jpeg

So I emailed Nanobox and they responded in a reasonable time, day or so. They apologized as they built 30+ units that week and suggested that I rename the channels within the app on my phone. They assured me the lights would be fine running on different drivers. So, I renamed the channels but the app wouldn't let me recolor the corresponding channel with a custom color. An app glitch. A workaround I found was to copy the RBG color code, go back into the renaming screen and paste that color code, then the app would successfully recolor the channel.

Ok so all is well and I run that like this for another month or so and realize this:

Sure we renamed the channels but the white/mint and royal blue LED's are powered by different drivers! The White/Mint were wired to a 1,000 mA driver and the Royal Blues were wired to a 350 mA driver. Thus, if I set the Whites to say 25%, they are getting 250 mA of power and the Royal Blues set to 50%, were getting a measly 175 mA of power! In general, you would want your blues to whites at a 2:1 ratio. Big difference.

This is why my light never looked quite right! Also, whenever I used the factory SPS, LPS, or Mixed Reef Light settings, it would flip my channels back and I would have to manually go in a change them.

So about two weeks ago, I emailed Nanobox and said 'how do I make this right'? They mailed me some electrical connectors to swap the wires with. I asked what wires needed swapped or provide me with a wiring diagram or something; I have not heard back.

So today I got tired of waiting on a diagram and used their photos off of their website to rewire my $365 light. Instead of using the connectors I used a solder gun to just swap the wires on the board. Wasn't a huge deal, but still took a few hours from start to finish.

Also while doing this work today, I also realized the White/Mint channel is just the whites. The mint LEDS are on a channel labeled "moonlight". Confusing details. I renamed those within the app so those should be ok.

IMG_3336.PNG

IMG_3337.JPEG

IMG_3334.PNG

IMG_3335.JPEG

Mistakes happen. I really just wished they could have just sent a replacement unit to swap out and I would've sent that one back.

Oh well, it's done and light is working great. It looks much better now and maybe I will even see some improvements in my critters...Come to think of it, maybe this why my BTA isn't doing great...

----I swapped the brown/white with the blue/white wires. See below.
IMG_3343.jpg

IMG_3344.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

One other thing, with the retro kit, the light fan (and hood fans) runs 24/7, regardless if the lights are on or not. This was done so users don't leave the fan off and overheat a light unit. The fan power isn't adjustable either, 100% all times. If I want my hood fans to run separately, I would need another power supply and a timer. So, I just let them all run 24/7. You would think with all of that programmable functionality, that you could turn the power off to the fan circuit. Not the retro unit.

I still recommend the light, maybe. I think it's built with quality components but I hope the app continues to improve overtime and the details with the product can be fine tuned. What I am most irked about is that I was told "it was OK". No it isn't. Having different lights run at different amperages isnt OK. That's a big discrepancy. Sure the lights turn on and off, but it's not right. I feel swept under a rug and like I wasn't smart enough to unravel the mistake. And then to not even get so much as a wiring diagram, left to fix it myself. Frustrating.

I just hope your experience goes better than mine. If you don't have a hood, your options are wide open. Anyways, hope this experience/review helps in your lighting/LED decisions.

KKatch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like these light have been a pain for you. I also bought these light for my BioCube 32. I haven’t had any of the issues you’ve had. I was able to install them with no extra parts and everything works perfectly. The coral growth has been great since I stalled them about 5 months ago. I did have a problem getting the light to link up to the Bluefish app. It took a couple tries. I agree the app could be better. Also the stock settings were to strong and too long. So I shortened the day to 10 hours and dropped the power down a bit. You definitely can control your fan. Idk if those were screen shots of your phone but in the first pics of your channels your fan channel was there and in the later ones they disappeared.

5 months ago
ce5341f1aea2c91ea3be78b6a1ae3e4e.jpg

Now
38a6adb03082a60f23f0b992a2e61f1c.jpg

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like these light have been a pain for you. I also bought these light for my BioCube 32. I haven’t had any of the issues you’ve had. I was able to install them with no extra parts and everything works perfectly. The coral growth has been great since I stalled them about 5 months ago. I did have a problem getting the light to link up to the Bluefish app. It took a couple tries. I agree the app could be better. Also the stock settings were to strong and too long. So I shortened the day to 10 hours and dropped the power down a bit. You definitely can control your fan. Idk if those were screen shots of your phone but in the first pics of your channels your fan channel was there and in the later ones they disappeared.

That's great to hear you have good growth! Mine should improve since the light outputs are correct now! I had a little snag with the blinkup as well. I definitely have the fan control in my app on my phone but it does not increase or decrease the fan speed. I asked Nanobox why it doesn't work and they stated that the "Retros are designed to stay on 100% of the time to prevent overheating within a hood". They said if I wanted to turn the fans off I would have to buy a separate power supply for them. I thought it was strange too; I don't understand it. Since I could not control the fans, I removed the fan control from within the app display since it was pointless to have it there, that's why it disappeared.

I know you have the fan control in your app but is it actually turing your fans on/off, and up/down?

OP
OP
Bato367

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my extra parts it was the little spacers to prevent the driver board from touching the aluminum. Maybe the JBJ had spacers or plastic below the driver board I am not sure. Thanks for your reply, glad to hear of your coral growth.

Jorin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great information! I hope that getting the Blues and such cranked up to where they should be now that everything really takes off for you.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited MONTHS for a replacement for my first unit that didn't work. On the replacement unit I also had wires going to the wrong drivers. I ordered another product that took months, in fact so long, that I just cancelled the order. They are nice lights when they work, but I will never buy another light that requires an app to run. I also don't want to get to know the owner of the company so well because we are troubleshooting so much. Sadly, I only buy lights off the shelf now.

SAMICHICAGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Great lights, poor quality control and customer service.
I agree. I read your original post, I didn't have any problems with the lights. Customer service definitely needs some work. The blue fish is really confusing, I can't get the timer to work like my original timer on the hood. So I just is the day settings with my location services. Not sure if that's recommended or not.

SAMICHICAGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I shortened the day to 10 hours and dropped the power down a bit.

How did you do that? I can't figure it in the Bluefish app. I just used the day settings with location services to mock the sunrise to sunset where I'm at. I can't figure out how to set the lights to come on at 4pm like how I did with the original lights.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back