NanoBox Duo to Hydros 0-10v

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into reefing. Starting a Nuvo20 & have a NanoBox Duo 4 channel with moon Light. Need to replace the drivers, driver board and fan driver. How ever I was looking to be able to control it using the hydros 0-10v out. Is this even possible and if so how would I go about converting it.

Thanks in advance.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into reefing. Starting a Nuvo20 & have a NanoBox Duo 4 channel with moon Light. Need to replace the drivers, driver board and fan driver. How ever I was looking to be able to control it using the hydros 0-10v out. Is this even possible and if so how would I go about converting it.

Thanks in advance.
Just need to replace the ldd drivers with ones that "do" 0-10V dimming.
Good thing is in that link you can see the drive currents they used. Need to figure out which channel uses what
2- 500mA, 1- 300mA and 1- 700mA
you have the 5 channel model 2- 500mA, 2-300mA 1-700mA
So moonlight is 300mA I assume. Below driver limits out at 3V. IF moonlight is one royal blue. V(f) may be under 3v. may be an issue.
Gets pricey though.

5 drivers is $174.80 4 is $147.20

Now for the catch
1) you have no 700mA. 450max
2) need to verify voltage of the led strings. Orig power supply is 48V soo strings shouldn't ever be more than about 45V. The max voltage out of the above driver is 42V. 42V may or may not "work".

The black "driver" separate from the others in the above is a 12v fan power supply not an led driver)
You can hunt for other drivers that will fit better but except for cheap chinese ones on ebay you may not find one cheaper than $35.
Most are AC/DC drivers which is why thay are costly.
Not familiar w/ DC/DC drivers with 10v analog dimming. Sure there are some but ?? to me. Would (should) be cheaper.

I have ZERO knowledge on what you would need to do on the Hydros side except all you would be using is the 10V dimming channel.

Now for OPTION 2. Convert the 10v signal to 5V PWM.

Then you just need to feed it to the LDD board.
BUT there is a catch.
Board above has a very high PWM frequency (about 50KHz). Well out of range of an LDD (100Hz -1KHz).
I posted it just so you are aware of the limitation
Soo you can use this:
$25 for 4 channels

Again how to program the Hydros as a programmed controller is beyond my knowledge.

But to boil it down.. Hydros to Steves.. Steves to Nanobox like you would hook the bluefish up to.'
Need to power Steves board (12v 250mA should do it.Can be more mA but and actually different voltage but for the sake of simplicity) so one extra power supply.
Need to disconnect the bluefish from inside the "black box" IF you have that box not the bare kit.

Side note: looks like the 2 boards have the channels in series.

OP
OP
DVaDeR77

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a lot to work with. Guess I really want to just bypass the bluefish controller. The lights work but the fan does not. That Steve’s interface might just do the trick. Thoughts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back