DVader77's DB 57 Edge Stormtrooper build!

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a 2 year project. March of 2014 I started buying things for a 40 breeder to upgrade from a Biocube 14. I picked up a Reef Octopus 110 space saver skimmer, 2 12inch CNCreef led light fixtures in white and with the help of Jedimasterben on another forum put together a nice fixture that I just got done with, no limes but still an awsome fixture controlled by a stormX controller and each independent from each other. Back in October I started to drill a 40 breeder for a bean animal and BOOM!! I broke the tank. Decided to go to a lfs for some stuff and he they had a 57 edge and talked him into trading it for a 50 to 55 head frogspawn I had in my BC14 and he ok. Started working on a stand and this is where I'm at as of now. Here are some picks of my progress.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice start!

OP
OP
DVaDeR77

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some sanding and another coat or 2 to do then start on the plumbing and water test this beast before I bring it inside to its final resting place. Still unsure about a sump. Waiting on a quote for a custom one but thinking a 20 long for now to get going.

HgrReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to love that tank! I had the Edge 75 as my first "larger tank" and it was awesome! The lines on it with the rimless top really made it pleasing to the eye. Lots of folks don't care for the big center overflow, but with some creative aquascaping, you can almost make it disappear.

That Edge 57 has always caught my eye though. Great size. Definitely tagging along on this one!

OP
OP
DVaDeR77

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see. Thinking about getting this mesh lid that artfully acrylic is making seen it in person and man it's nice. Got to get my lights on the tank to get measurements to get a quote

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
DVaDeR77

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the doors remounted and the plumbing glued and going to hopefully water test this beast tomorrow and see how it runs. Stuffed the top a bit putting the tank on going to do another coat of paint before I bring it in the house.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a better pic of overflow. Should the pipes be glued in to bulkheads.

image.jpeg
I recommend you raise the height of your shorter drain pipe in the overflow to almost the level you want to keep in the overflow. The reason for this is that when you have a power outage or turn off the pump you will need to account for all the water in your overflow to drain down to the top of that lower pipe. If you have already account for that additional water in your sump you will be ok but again I don't think it is necessary. You can still get a full siphon with the pipe a lot tall and you will have less to worry about during power outage. Everything looks great.

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I didn't glue mine, every once and while I will "clean" the overflow... pull the pipe and let it all drain into a filter sock, then obviously into my sump... Another reason I would say no is just thinking about how tight the space is god forbid you need to remove it for any reason.

OP
OP
DVaDeR77

DVaDeR77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I'll leave it just like it is. I do have a slightly taller pipe I'm going to try also. It seems to only dump maybe 3 gallons back in the sump and does not siphon at all from the return.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back