OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree Tank Update per request....Ok so I am overdue anyway so thanks for the reminder. Damzel gone....New Midas Blenny and Workman gobbie doing great. Some new Zoas as well.
Tank tour video I figured would be a quick way to get pictures of everything as it is now....

Thanks for checking out my update and watching my video.

On the hunt for either a flasher wrasse or a fairy wrasse and a Gramma to finalize my fish stock....then more coral, more coral....Did I say #allmymoneygoestocorals ??

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video, tank looks great!!:)

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice video, tank looks great!!:)
Thanks, Wish I knew coral was pretty easy, I would not have waited a year to get some....I should have trusted my instincts though because they are sort of like plants and I have had years and years of freshwater fish and plant experience....

Shot on IPHONE....LOL also kept the whites up so the blue has unfortunately less impact on some of the corals colors. Those brown zoa/palys actually have some orange to the face and mouth.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have not posted updates in some time....My tank took a dive last august and I lost all my shrooms and pretty much everything else for some reason. I have my watchman goby as the sole surviving fish, my zoas (all closed up and not opening), my Kenya tree, my GSP island, and a sad, not sure if its still alive, pipe organ coral. Something made my tank crash and the hind site was my Kenya tree was dropping lots of babies and I didn't think anything of it. That I think was the beginning of the crash, Nitrates and phosphates were practically non traceable. Overfed the tank figuring that would help bring up the nitrates and then ALGAE....AHHHH. yup full tank uglies and it has been 3 months of battle getting nitrates up and algae and cyano gone. I feel I am turning the corner as the algae is finally subsiding. Still not sure what is going on with my tank, Nitrates are between 5-10 PPM and phosphates .2 ppm, salinity 25 ppm and PH at 8.0. I don't test for anything else as I only have soft corals.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test Alk, Calcium, and Mag as well. In my small softy tank, I test everything, not weekly but occasionally. I noticed growth stopped in my tank, and when I tested, ALK was way down, like at 5. I dosed and brought it back up, and the tank has taken off again. Typically water changes replace what soft corals need, but still good to double-check every once in a while. Also, you could send out an ICP test to make sure there isn't something else going on with your tank.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test Alk, Calcium, and Mag as well. In my small softy tank, I test everything, not weekly but occasionally. I noticed growth stopped in my tank, and when I tested, ALK was way down, like at 5. I dosed and brought it back up, and the tank has taken off again. Typically water changes replace what soft corals need, but still good to double-check every once in a while. Also, you could send out an ICP test to make sure there isn't something else going on with your tank.
My normal routine is 5 gal a week but I was doing 10 every few days when things were bad so I would assume if the balance was off, the water changes would fix it....IDK. I am going to get some test kits though because when things get better I am thinking of getting some easy LPS and I will need to test then anyway. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Nanorock1970

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, Moved my tank, drained out almost all the water, moved and refilled the tank in the new location, now next to my desk of my home office. Its been about 2 weeks and my zoas are starting to open, my kenya tree looks great and the GHA looks to be going away by itself with a little help from a toothbrush. It is definitely not growing as fast or taking over anymore. Thinking of new fish now that the tank is better. Oh my watchman goby is busy digging now and creating a nice little spot.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back