Nart's IM25 & IM10 Build and Re-scape!

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait! It's not over.
I then told the wife I was going to build a inexpensive 10G frag tank.

So this DIY AIO 10G frag tank...
IMG_8081.JPG

Paired with a Picasso clown I saw at Petco...
IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

Quickly became this....
Born the IM10 tank. My shotty diy job on the 10G didn't do the Picasso clown justice.
IMG_8272.JPG

Hours spent on the rock-scaping...
IMG_8295.JPG

Was able to make a rockscape I liked. I've been really into the minimalistic approach with minimal footprint on the floor.
So here's my idea of a tree rockscape.
IMG_8332.JPG

Found a perfect furniture piece that fits the IM10 along with accommodating a 5G tank underneath for an ATO.
(was testing the PAR that day in the picture)
IMG_8422.jpg

IM10 Equipment list:
Cobalt Neo-therm 50W heater
Kessil A160WE lights
Sicce 1.5 Return pump
Intank Media basket
RFG Nozzle and drop adapter

Any who, these are my tanks for now. Currently all under a major facelift once the Pukani rocks are done curing.
My plans for the IM10 is to keep it simple and relatively low-maintenance. I had inputs of putting easy SPS's in the IM10 because of the rockscaping, but I'm not 100% sold on that yet. I was thinking of putting my small RBTA and hope it stays relatively center by messing with the lights and flow. Once it situates itself, I was going to put different species of zoanthids on each 'tree branch'
What do you guys think in terms of coral scaping the IM10?

Thanks for reading. Hopefully it'll be a fun follow for you along my re-scaping journey.
Nart

Love the custom built in filter area you made, pretty cool.

FloridianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R fam!

I'm a new member to R2R, but a long time lurker :)
Been reefing for almost a year now and loving it. Anyways, let's get right to it and show you my progress.
(I decided to make 1 build thread for both my tanks. Easier for me to keep ya'll updated.)

My first saltwater tank from about a year ago, 15G Aqueon:
IMG_5097.jpg

I quickly felt a needed urge to upgrade. Born the IM25:
The planning of the tank...
IMG_5942.jpg

Getting it stocked and loaded.
IMG_6055.jpg

Soon it became an addiction.
I then wanted to upgrade my lights from Current Marine Orbit to AI Prime HDs.
IMG_6533.jpg

The coral addiction became real.
IMG_7672.jpg

Equipment addiction became real too haha.
Recently upgraded my return nozzles with the Random Flow Generator (RFG) nozzles. Really liking it.
IMG_8535.JPG

Finally decided I was done with my current rockscaping.
Born the re-scaping for the IM25. Ordered Pukani rocks from BRS to perform this operation.
IMG_8088.JPG

Done and is currently still curing in a tub for a month and some change now.
Top down of the new rock-scape.
IMG_8125.JPG

Front view of the rockscape.
IMG_8127.JPG

Hopefully the Pukani rocks will be done curing soon. It's been about 36 days now and the Phosphate is around 0.04PPM.

IM25 Equipment:
Cobalt Neo-therm heater 100W
Cobalt MJ1200 return pump
AI Prime HD lights
InTank media basket, floss caddy, and chaeto basket
RFG nozzles and drop adapter
Jebao SW-2 power-head
Custom screen top
Really nice tank

Perched Urchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nart, I saw you mention for the IM10 that you just had the media basket and a heater in the back. Anything different in the Lagoon? How are you keeping up with the alk and calcium demands with that clam?
Everything looks beautiful, and as others have mentioned, you have mad aquascaping skills.

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nart, I saw you mention for the IM10 that you just had the media basket and a heater in the back. Anything different in the Lagoon? How are you keeping up with the alk and calcium demands with that clam?
Everything looks beautiful, and as others have mentioned, you have mad aquascaping skills.

In the IM25 I also keep a InTank media basket, along with the InTank Chaeto basket, and InTank filter caddy.
As far as keeping up with Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium, I am 1 part dosing Tropic Marin All for Reef on a BRS doser. Before I got the clam, having the doser run once a day at 1.7 ml was enough to keep all 3 parameters steady. Ever since I got the clam, I had to up the dosing to twice a day, at 3.4 ml to keep Alk and Calcium steady. I am finding that my Magnesium drops from 1300 to 1270 PPM in two days. So with magnesium, I hand dose Brightwell's Magnesium to keep up my Mag at 1300.
Thank you! I have youtube videos up on my tank too if you wanted to see more.

latest feeding video of my fishes. Scooter dragonette chowing down on frozen Mysis!

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@C-Reefer Colin? haha.
Red scooter is rip. jumped out the little opening I had between the screen frame and glass.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that one haha. I thought you got another scooter along with the dersa? Ohhhhh thats the one that jumped out :(

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank and how it looks now.
Due to moving... I decided to start taking the corals off the rock work now and putting them on plugs to sell off instead of being in a hurry and doing it last minute.
So yeah, it's pretty much turned into a frag tank for now.

IMG_9893.JPG

ranchhand02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. How do you like the AI prime on your ten gallon tank? I have the same set up with a Kessil A80 on it and I thinking of swapping out for an AI prime HD. Also how are you curing your rock?

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Stella1979 wish I could buy from Stella's candy shop ;) Heard you got in a lot of frags recently :D

@ranchhand02 The AI Prime HD is perfect over the IM10. Though, your Kessil A80 should be adequate for the IM10, I guess it would depend on what corals you are keeping in it.
I cured the pukani rocks in a separate tub. Heater and power-head, till PO4 was at an acceptable range of 0.03

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back