Naso tang on hunger strike

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my naso tang for about a year. He has always been one of the best eaters in my tank but for the past four days he hasn’t eaten a thing. All he does is swim back and forth all day from one end of the tank to the other. Even when I put food in the tank. Should I be worried or should I give it a few more days before I take any action? Here is a couple of pics of him. Maybe someone can see something wrong that I don’t see

115FDC92-C547-4821-BFAF-73E70C227E91.jpeg 6754DAE5-74F9-4C8C-BEAB-7EABAF06A64F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5536.MOV
    6.9 MB

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A non-eating Naso is not a good sign. It does have a stomach pinch, evidence of malnutrition and that is a typical Naso tang problem even when they seem to eat well. Other than stress and depression that can aggrevate dietary problems, high nitrates over time might upset it also. I had a nice Naso until it finished off the natural aquarium algae and died a few weeks later of good health.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more common than the internet would have you believe with Naso's

Im sure you feed a variety of foods having had him for that long but what have you treid since the hungar strike?

Ive had a few over the years and many would only accept one type of food in the beggining so trying a variety of different foods right now is a must - See what may spark that interest back up. Without sounding doom and gloom - Its often not something they come back from when its been going on for as long as this.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps they eat too much meat in an omnivore aquarium and don't keep room for enough vegetables. Nasos are not the only tang that show pinched stomachs regardless of amount of artemia eaten. A month ago I started giving a big fingerfull of Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes twice daily and the Japonicus is enlarging in the pinch zone. My dimidiatus cleaner wrasse eats it too, very well. Elegans, Japonicus are two species that are feeble.

I am sure that Liam is correct about the internet. Fish loss is not the talk of the town but we are probably not alone. Fish are more difficult that coral in the long run these days.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps they eat too much meat in an omnivore aquarium and don't keep room for enough vegetables. Nasos are not the only tang that show pinched stomachs regardless of amount of artemia eaten. A month ago I started giving a big fingerfull of Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes twice daily and the Japonicus is enlarging in the pinch zone. My dimidiatus cleaner wrasse eats it too, very well. Elegans, Japonicus are two species that are feeble.

I am sure that Liam is correct about the internet. Fish loss is not the talk of the town but we are probably not alone. Fish are more difficult that coral in the long run these days.
Id say your on to something with the too much meat quote - Its why i asked about what variety has been offered - My longest was a powerhouse for eating Nori and rarely went for meaty foods - Although it did every now and then. Im adamant that its one of those species that needs a constant supply of greens rather than a one off feeding each day or two.

I find Naso's (All form the species) tend to get labelled as easy to keep becuaase they can often start well once feeding, when in reality they often dont end well succombing early, usually becasue of the hungar strike - People dont usually admit to their deaths after such time tthough.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just decided to make spirulina my first morning feed. I just fed two large pinches and even the anthias squamapinis attacked it. It all disappeared in 30 seconds. These are nice flakes. Thick and heavy and fortified like all Ocean Nutrition dry foods. I looked very closely at the japonicus and it really is enlarging underneath. At the same time I have two very hollow mandarins (bought them hoping to save them) that need lots of garlic flavored artemia squirted down their way several times per day to compete. The male is actively chasing frozen food. The female is pod hunting and the artemia need to be still on a surface for her. Not easy with the other fish.

As for Naso Elegans, I will try another next year. I have enough to nurse into health for now. I am lucky to have my workshop at home where I can care for the fish throughout the day.

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its more common than the internet would have you believe with Naso's

Im sure you feed a variety of foods having had him for that long but what have you treid since the hungar strike?

Ive had a few over the years and many would only accept one type of food in the beggining so trying a variety of different foods right now is a must - See what may spark that interest back up. Without sounding doom and gloom - Its often not something they come back from when its been going on for as long as this.
I have never had a problem with him only eating one kind of food. I have four of the TwoLittle Fishies feeder pouches in the tank that I put a sheet of Nori in each one in the morning for them to graze on all day. Red, green, purple, & brown Nori. A different color in each pouch. Then at noon my auto feeder drops some Neptune Systems pellets. Then when I get home from work at 6:00 I usually give them either PE Mysis frozen Mysis or homemade food that I made from the BRS frozen reef chili recipie. He defiantly gets a good variety

Oneill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi OP,

what was the end result here?

currently have the same issue

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a problem with him only eating one kind of food. I have four of the TwoLittle Fishies feeder pouches in the tank that I put a sheet of Nori in each one in the morning for them to graze on all day. Red, green, purple, & brown Nori. A different color in each pouch. Then at noon my auto feeder drops some Neptune Systems pellets. Then when I get home from work at 6:00 I usually give them either PE Mysis frozen Mysis or homemade food that I made from the BRS frozen reef chili recipie. He defiantly gets a good variety
I like the sound of this system. I might have to borrow it for my tank as well

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought naso was similar to a Achilles in terms of requiring more turbulent water compared to other reef fish . I’ve tried a few naso ( lipstick tangs ) with similar outcome .
they eat like pigs , very active but eventually stop eating while their health diminishes

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi OP,

what was the end result here?

currently have the same issue
My naso is won’t eat the frozen food I put in the tank but he does eat the Nori I put in the tank so I’m not too concerned because I’m the wild they eat strictly algae

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back