Nassarius Snail Eggs??

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been noticing these little feather like designs in the tank lately and wasn't sure wat they were until I caught my snail in the act laying more last night! Do you guys see these often and any idea if I should do anything or just let them be. I've heard the chance of them actually hatching is pretty low but they are cool to watch!

20201005_005833.jpg

Screenshot_20201005-072229_Photos.jpg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen this before but like you said i wouldn’t even know if those hatch and survive. I believe my wrasse takes care of the eggs the snails lay. I do have a ton of baby trochus snails in my sump though I will say that!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes nassarius. Likely will be eaten before hatching

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this before but like you said i wouldn’t even know if those hatch and survive. I believe my wrasse takes care of the eggs the snails lay. I do have a ton of baby trochus snails in my sump though I will say that!
Pics? I'm trying to figure out if the little black beads on my rocks are the evil version or the good version. My money is on evil. :(

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics? I'm trying to figure out if the little black beads on my rocks are the evil version or the good version. My money is on evil. :(
I will snap a photo when I return home. They are to hard to find in the tank because they are small, but I reconfigured my return plumbing yesterday and those suckers were in the return pipes as well!

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will snap a photo when I return home. They are to hard to find in the tank because they are small, but I reconfigured my return plumbing yesterday and those suckers were in the return pipes as well!
Thanks! I noticed the snails have been having either conferences or orgies recently. Lights go out, you can usually find these guys in the same place...sometimes doing questionable things. Lol I think my hammer spawned too, which was really interesting. Literally tiny little hammers suddenly floating around. Tis the season?

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow for real? They can live in the pipes?! Those resilient little sun-of-a-guns lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yep. That’s the highway to the sump

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been noticing these little feather like designs in the tank lately and wasn't sure wat they were until I caught my snail in the act laying more last night! Do you guys see these often and any idea if I should do anything or just let them be. I've heard the chance of them actually hatching is pretty low but they are cool to watch!

20201005_005833.jpg

Screenshot_20201005-072229_Photos.jpg

*** UPDATE ON THE EGGS ***

They are doing pretty good, luckily they are up high so the hermit crabs can't get at them. The fish don't seem to care and the first set of eggs she layed about 2-3 weeks ago are still there too so who knows they might have a chance!

20201007_223855.jpg

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*** UPDATE ON THE EGGS ***

They are doing pretty good, luckily they are up high so the hermit crabs can't get at them. The fish don't seem to care and the first set of eggs she layed about 2-3 weeks ago are still there too so who knows they might have a chance!

20201007_223855.jpg
Any updates? I have the same thing in my tank this morning lol

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I have the same thing in my tank this morning lol
solisfirefish is right, as soon as my eggs got big enough that I could see them, my clowns started trying to peck at them :rolleyes::rolleyes:so I just left them alone but no I never saw any babies. But if you have a lot of bottom dwelling fish or mostly corals yours might have a shot! Depends where she lays them too. My snails have laid countless more eggs many times since and I still haven't seen any baby nassarius, which is sad bc they are so freakin cute as babies!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back