Nassarius snails are sensitive to nitrates?

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,185
Reaction score
3,302
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a big nassarius snail for my new (3 mos) 40g tank to take care of uneaten food. It's fowlr and the nitrates are about 30-40ppm. Is that going to bother the snail? I put in some Purigen today and run a skimmer. Dry rock and dry sand are probably live by now. Is he going to be ok? He's already buried himself in the sand so it's hard to tell. LFS store said a short acclimation was ok. Any advice is welcome!
 
Bump. I want to make sure Gary the snail is going to be ok.
 
I just got a big nassarius snail for my new (3 mos) 40g tank to take care of uneaten food. It's fowlr and the nitrates are about 30-40ppm. Is that going to bother the snail? I put in some Purigen today and run a skimmer. Dry rock and dry sand are probably live by now. Is he going to be ok? He's already buried himself in the sand so it's hard to tell. LFS store said a short acclimation was ok. Any advice is welcome!
I think that is a pretty high level of nitrates (much higher than what all the "experts" recommend) and even though not everyone agrees about the levels that inverts can tolerate, I would recommend that you continue to take action to reduce them: don't overfeed, more frequent water changes, stimulate bacteria growth if necessary, consider carbon dosing, etc. Live rock and sand, Purigen will all help as you know.

If nothing else lowering nitrates mitigates algae blooms, etc. I have run "dirty" tanks with nitrate levels as high as yours and didn't lose any inverts in the near term, but don't know if that is typical. Better safe than sorry in reefing is what I have finally learned.
 
I think that is a pretty high level of nitrates (much higher than what all the "experts" recommend) and even though not everyone agrees about the levels that inverts can tolerate, I would recommend that you continue to take action to reduce them: don't overfeed, more frequent water changes, stimulate bacteria growth if necessary, consider carbon dosing, etc. Live rock and sand, Purigen will all help as you know.

If nothing else lowering nitrates mitigates algae blooms, etc. I have run "dirty" tanks with nitrate levels as high as yours and didn't lose any inverts in the near term, but don't know if that is typical. Better safe than sorry in reefing is what I have finally learned.
Thanks. I know they're high. It is fowlr and the level is leftover from the cycle. They got up to 60-80 then and with a 50% w/c I got them down. The tank won't have coral for a while. I'll continue to do water changes. Luckily there's no algae out break because the tank doesn't have lights yet. I plan to keep it at about 20ppm while it's fowlr then lower it to 10 when I start with softies and LPS. But that's a long ways away! I still want to save up for an Apex and an ATI dimmable T-5 fixture. As they say, slow is the way to go. But back to Gary the snail. Will he be ok while I bring the nitrates down? He's totally buried in the sand, so how will I know?
 
I think that is a pretty high level of nitrates (much higher than what all the "experts" recommend) and even though not everyone agrees about the levels that inverts can tolerate, I would recommend that you continue to take action to reduce them: don't overfeed, more frequent water changes, stimulate bacteria growth if necessary, consider carbon dosing, etc. Live rock and sand, Purigen will all help as you know.

If nothing else lowering nitrates mitigates algae blooms, etc. I have run "dirty" tanks with nitrate levels as high as yours and didn't lose any inverts in the near term, but don't know if that is typical. Better safe than sorry in reefing is what I have finally learned.
Ps- I started the tank with dry rock and dry sand, so that's part of the problem. The fish are just fine, but I know the rock is still in the process of becoming live. Hopefully that will help too.
 
Thanks. I know they're high. It is fowlr and the level is leftover from the cycle. They got up to 60-80 then and with a 50% w/c I got them down. The tank won't have coral for a while. I'll continue to do water changes. Luckily there's no algae out break because the tank doesn't have lights yet. I plan to keep it at about 20ppm while it's fowlr then lower it to 10 when I start with softies and LPS. But that's a long ways away! I still want to save up for an Apex and an ATI dimmable T-5 fixture. As they say, slow is the way to go. But back to Gary the snail. Will he be ok while I bring the nitrates down? He's totally buried in the sand, so how will I know?
Sounds good; I would think he'll be fine given the direction you have the nitrates going. What about turning off the filters and squirting a little "juice" from frozen mysis around the bottom to see if you can make him come out? I know you don't want to overfeed, and, if he's healthy he'll come out when he senses food.

Good luck
 
Sounds good; I would think he'll be fine given the direction you have the nitrates going. What about turning off the filters and squirting a little "juice" from frozen mysis around the bottom to see if you can make him come out? I know you don't want to overfeed, and, if he's healthy he'll come out when he senses food.

Good luck
I moved him and now he's only half buried. I'll leave him alone and try to feed him. Thanks for your help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new