OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definetly look like nassarius snail and not whelks so ur lucky :)
They do look like nassarius snails don't they. Although I've since read nassarius snails will definitely not eat algae, so I assume they're dove snails because they swarm when I drop an algae pellet in. Either way, they're great cleanup crew! Breed easily and turn the sand over quite a bit. Can't see any negative effects of having them. With their omnivorous nature I don't know why they're not more popular (probably because lfs wouldn't make much money given how easily they breed). Not sure why ppl would waste money on snails which don't breed vs these little guys (exception being the need for larger snails which clean glass/rocks).

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look like nassarius snails don't they. Although I've since read nassarius snails will definitely not eat algae, so I assume they're dove snails because they swarm when I drop an algae pellet in. Either way, they're great cleanup crew! Breed easily and turn the sand over quite a bit. Can't see any negative effects of having them. With their omnivorous nature I don't know why they're not more popular (probably because lfs wouldn't make much money given how easily they breed). Not sure why ppl would waste money on snails which don't breed vs these little guys (exception being the need for larger snails which clean glass/rocks).
I won't venture a guess at what the small snails actually are but will just say that my Nassarius (Vibex, allegedly) snails definitely swarm algae wafers also.
*no idea if it's something other than algae in the wafer composition or if they're just omnivorous

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't venture a guess at what the small snails actually are but will just say that my Nassarius (Vibex, allegedly) snails definitely swarm algae wafers also.
*no idea if it's something other than algae in the wafer composition or if they're just omnivorous
Like you said, they may be omnivorous (I know a number of species from the Nassariidae family and Nassariinae subfamily are omnivorous, but I'm not sure with any Nassarius species specifically).

That said, a lot of algae wafers also either 1 ) contain meat that would attract carrion eaters, 2 ) contain chemical attractants that might entice the snails to feed on them, or 3 ) both.

So, there are actually a number of reasons why carnivorous snails might still go for algae wafers.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dove snails do eat algae tho, the ones in my tank always seem to be munching away on the glass and rocks

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had wondered the same thing too tbh! Could be something else in there enticing them. Odds are against me that they are nassarius snails given how difficult they are to bred. Love watching them emerge and race for food! Speedy little guys!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you said, they may be omnivorous (I know a number of species from the Nassariidae family and Nassariinae subfamily are omnivorous, but I'm not sure with any Nassarius species specifically).

That said, a lot of algae wafers also either 1 ) contain meat that would attract carrion eaters, 2 ) contain chemical attractants that might entice the snails to feed on them, or 3 ) both.

So, there are actually a number of reasons why carnivorous snails might still go for algae wafers.
It's surprising how difficult it is to get a confirmation on these dudes. I've asked everyone I know in the hobby and all say different. So much to learn, but then that's what I love about this hobby!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dove snails do eat algae tho, the ones in my tank always seem to be munching away on the glass and rocks
That's what has me dumbfounded, these guys are rarely on my rocks/glass... I might see the very odd one after lights out. I think I read somewhere that dove snails have a radula, whereas nassarius snails have a proboscis... I'm near sure these guys have a proboscis. Going to pop in a bit of shrimp and observe them more closely. Determined to get to the bottom of this mystery lol

Edit - inside the proboscis is a radula... what I mean is dove snails may not have a proboscis... need to read up on their morphology/anatomy more.

Last edited:

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what has me dumbfounded, these guys are rarely on my rocks/glass... I might see the very odd one after lights out. I think I read somewhere that dove snails have a radula, whereas nassarius snails have a proboscis... I'm near sure these guys have a proboscis. Going to pop in a bit of shrimp and observe them more closely. Determined to get to the bottom of this mystery lol

Edit - inside the proboscis is a radula... what I mean is dove snails may not have a proboscis... need to read up on their morphology/anatomy more.
They have a proboscis aka their mouth i see mine up near the water surface reaching above the water on the glass and munching on the detritus on the edge of the glass and water.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a proboscis aka their mouth i see mine up near the water surface reaching above the water on the glass and munching on the detritus on the edge of the glass and water.
Ok so can't use the proboscis to differentiate them... I'm at a loss, can't find any defining characteristics

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back