Natural seawater tank build.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent changes in the law allow for killing the fish, ie spearfishing, but not live catching. It was aimed at large operations, but had the side effect of screwing the hobbyists.
I've spoken to the DAR recently - it appears that most of the changes in law has to do with commercial operations and with the method of catch. They don't seem to be giving out small mesh net permits anymore, making certain species difficult to catch. It highly depends on the county also, certain areas of Oahu and Big Island seems to have stricter laws so I can't say for certain if you outright can't catch them though. There are also herbivorous zones where NOONE can catch them - even for food. Thus, it is imperative that you talk to your local DAR division about the laws and regulations.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've spoken to the DAR recently - it appears that most of the changes in law has to do with commercial operations and with the method of catch. They don't seem to be giving out small mesh net permits anymore, making certain species difficult to catch. It highly depends on the county also, certain areas of Oahu and Big Island seems to have stricter laws so I can't say for certain if you outright can't catch them though. There are also herbivorous zones where NOONE can catch them - even for food. Thus, it is imperative that you talk to your local DAR division about the laws and regulations.

They really need to make the laws better so as to not be so ambiguious. Even something as simple as limiting the catching of live fish to 3 a day or something would suffice.

Doesn't really affect me so much since I have a small 1 fish tank, but sucks for those with larger tanks.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really need to make the laws better so as to not be so ambiguious. Even something as simple as limiting the catching of live fish to 3 a day or something would suffice.

Doesn't really affect me so much since I have a small 1 fish tank, but sucks for those with larger tanks.
Yeah, I get that. The DAR website has basically what most people need - a simple phone call would answer most people's questions that aren't answered by the website though.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick FTS.

09255979472617254989.jpg

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would collect and catch everything i could fit in my tank. And I would eat the rest what I would not fit in my tank I am very serious today

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would collect and catch everything i could fit in my tank. And I would eat the rest what I would not fit in my tank I am very serious today

It is hard to resist. Keeping myself limited to a 10g tank helps.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are jerks.

Had the Palys on the top of the cave rock. Watched a HC climb up the rock, look at the Paly, then actually kick it off the rock. Literally. One leg, Chuck Norris style kick. Glue is on the way.

OP
OP

426HEMI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting on LFS to get in more live rock, little sparse right now. Also going to keep my eye out for a starfish next time I'm snorkeling. Want something to sift the sand. Thinking about a goby as well, not sure on that though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back