Nauplii info

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For howmuch time is the yolk attached to nauplii? So can feed mandarin/pipefish.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All nauphii do not hatch at the same time and they begin depleting their egg sacs immediately. I am not positive but I think they are pretty much devoid of nutrition in 12 to 24 hours. When hatching it is difficult to separate the newly hatched from the older hatched so it is better to enrich the nauphii with something like Dan's Feed or Vibrance to give a mandarin/pipefish optimal nutrition. In a pinch however newly hatched nauphii can be used.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No set time for final consumption of the yolk as things like temperature and water movement can affect how fast the yolk gets used up. Warmer water, and, heavier water movement promote faster use of the energy resources.
If you really NEED to use newborn nauplii, you are best to do frequent separations of fresh hatched nauplii from the culture as soon as they hatch.
Once they start hatching, let the culture sit motionless for 5 minutes with a point source light shining on a convenient location of the culture vessel and as the nauplii gather, siphon them off. Replace aeration and let more hatch and repeat. Keep repeating until all are hatched.
IMO, it's MUCH easier to plan on getting a full hatch first, ongrowing them for a day until they reach the Instar II stage where digestion system is complete, and then enrich with the enrichment of choice for two 12 hour stages using new water and enrichment for both stages.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No set time for final consumption of the yolk as things like temperature and water movement can affect how fast the yolk gets used up. Warmer water, and, heavier water movement promote faster use of the energy resources.
If you really NEED to use newborn nauplii, you are best to do frequent separations of fresh hatched nauplii from the culture as soon as they hatch.
Once they start hatching, let the culture sit motionless for 5 minutes with a point source light shining on a convenient location of the culture vessel and as the nauplii gather, siphon them off. Replace aeration and let more hatch and repeat. Keep repeating until all are hatched.
IMO, it's MUCH easier to plan on getting a full hatch first, ongrowing them for a day until they reach the Instar II stage where digestion system is complete, and then enrich with the enrichment of choice for two 12 hour stages using new water and enrichment for both stages.
Current schedule:
Night I keep them for hatching, then i remove the hatched ones, and feed them, i do this twice-thrice in a day. So every night i make new batch and feed them the next day. Thats fine? I use my tank water itself.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back