Nedd help New Tunze Wavebox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

Building a new system and one of the items I purchased was a Tunze Wavebox 6208. I have a quick question, this is brand new from BRS. It smells like the worst thing you can imagine. It almost knocked me down when I opened the box.

I'm wondering if it's not some kind of Grease they use or what? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Think of burning tires, sulfur, mixed with a dead skunk. Not even joking.

20221014_171755.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the smell of the plastic, we use BASF polyamide, it has an odor, it is more pronounced as of late as we have been so far behind that when something does come in, it was generally made within a matter of weeks so the odor is still strong, in the past, most parts were molded and in stock for months before a product was assembled and the odor was largely gone. It is completely harmless, we use this plastic as it is very impact resistant and flame retardant, it is the same plastic we have used for almost our entire 60+ year history.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the smell of the plastic, we use BASF polyamide, it has an odor, it is more pronounced as of late as we have been so far behind that when something does come in, it was generally made within a matter of weeks so the odor is still strong, in the past, most parts were molded and in stock for months before a product was assembled and the odor was largely gone. It is completely harmless, we use this plastic as it is very impact resistant and flame retardant, it is the same plastic we have used for almost our entire 60+ year history.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the explanation. Honestly, I'm afraid to install it in the tank it's so bad. In my 30 years of saltwater, I've never smelled anything like this. I believe I'll return this.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny, I rather like the smell, it reminds me of my second home at the factory and it also reminds me of the machines that were common at zoos in my childhood that made a plastic mold of an animal in real time. Just keep in mind the only odor free alternative is polycarbonate, polycarbonate is far more brittle and much less chemical resistant. We have used this plastic for a very long time and it is German made.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@rvitko Sorry I missed the response, I was traveling. Let me make sure I am clear, this smells like a horrible transmission Grease that was in a burnt up transmission mixed with skunk spray.

You like that smell?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you have a high sensitivity to odors, the only smell should be freshly molded plastics. It is a petroleum type odor.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish you were correct, but you're not. It isn't a plastic smell, I've smelled plenty of plastics. Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back