Need a bit of advice about a light setup

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
2,005
Location
San Angelo Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi r2r! I just picked up a used 40g breeder setup for dirt cheap. It came with 2 150w de metal halides with a set of t5 actinics. The ballast for the t5s is shot. I have a current satellite 24” strip that I want to use instead of the t5s. Will the mh light be too hot for the led strip? There are 2 fans in the hood for cooling that come on with the mh.
 
It kinda depends where the Led is mounted.

I’d kinda say, if the current is one of the older models , no lenses just squares, it migh not have enough. Intensity to be of much use , except for before and after the mh go off.

What model is the led ? Pics or links ?

Can we assume it’s an all in one mh and t5 unit ?
 
The mh are seperate from the t5s. It’s a diy setup looks like. All mounted under a canopy. And the current is one of those 24” older models. No lenses. I figure I won’t need it for the corals, it’s just for a little ramp up and down. And moon light viewing. It would be mounted about 3-4 inches from the mhs. No pics on my fone dang it. Thanks for the response! I have never run mhs. I know they get hot but I’m not sure HOW hot.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new