Need a boost to keep going.

  • Thread starter Thread starter mmw64
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2016
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
1,355
Location
Modesto CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide whether to keep my aquarium or piece it out. I will have more time but no extra hands to help. Most of my test kits will need new regents and I have to admit I HATE testing. I don't keep anything fancy just anemones that have taken over the tank and pulsing Xenia that takes most of the rest. I have about 8 fish that are doing well. If I decide to keep going what are the minimum tests kits I need and easiest to use. I will still do occasional water changes which I hope will keep most things in balance. The tank is 72 gallons and has been running for at least 8 years. If I keep going it won't be anything fancy. Thank you for your time.
 
I don't see why you need to test. If you can dedicate yourself to perhaps monthly water changes or some kind of minimum routine, I don't see why you couldn't keep it going indefinitely. I test my main tank infrequently to keep the AFR dosing correct for the sps, but on my other softie/lps tanks I don't test, they haven't been tested in years, just weekly water changes.
 
I don't see why you need to test. If you can dedicate yourself to perhaps monthly water changes or some kind of minimum routine, I don't see why you couldn't keep it going indefinitely. I test my main tank infrequently to keep the AFR dosing correct for the sps, but on my other softie/lps tanks I don't test, they haven't been tested in years, just weekly water changes.
Thanks Mr. Mojo
 
I am trying to decide whether to keep my aquarium or piece it out. I will have more time but no extra hands to help. Most of my test kits will need new regents and I have to admit I HATE testing. I don't keep anything fancy just anemones that have taken over the tank and pulsing Xenia that takes most of the rest. I have about 8 fish that are doing well. If I decide to keep going what are the minimum tests kits I need and easiest to use. I will still do occasional water changes which I hope will keep most things in balance. The tank is 72 gallons and has been running for at least 8 years. If I keep going it won't be anything fancy. Thank you for your time.
If you’re after new tests too, since you were taking about replacing them, Red Sea kits do the basic tests for about $100-$150, but good quality. You could just get the extra ones (like mag or iodine for anemones) for another $100 at most I’d say. They last for ages though. Hanna tests are great if you want easy and accurate testing, just more initial cost. There’s also water probes or auto tests that can give you a relatively live view of tank parameters, just that they can be expensive, but could pay off long term.
 
I am trying to decide whether to keep my aquarium or piece it out. I will have more time but no extra hands to help. Most of my test kits will need new regents and I have to admit I HATE testing. I don't keep anything fancy just anemones that have taken over the tank and pulsing Xenia that takes most of the rest. I have about 8 fish that are doing well. If I decide to keep going what are the minimum tests kits I need and easiest to use. I will still do occasional water changes which I hope will keep most things in balance. The tank is 72 gallons and has been running for at least 8 years. If I keep going it won't be anything fancy. Thank you for your time.
Try no testing, see how it goes.
If you have been testing, do you find some things different from where you want them?
 
If you need to be convinced to keep your tank then I would simply ask who are you keeping it for?

If your heart is not in it, then find something that gives you more satisfaction for the time and money on hand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new