Need a hand Identifying this Frag

Reefer M4dness

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
34
Reaction score
5
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

This frag was part of our original system purchase about 14 months ago and I have been unable to identify it. It started out a little larger than the piece in the picture, than grew to cover the entire plug, and after getting ravaged by GHA and who knows what else, it has started to shrink at a fairly quick rate.

I need to get a positive ID so I can give this little guy the proper care and start growing it back out. I am fairly certain that it is a type of SPS but that is just a guess. The coral is not extended out right now so this is the best picture I can get right now. When (if) he comes out later on tonight I will get a better shot and update the thread.

(Edit: I just realized that I posted this in the LPS ID forum instead of the SPS.)

nHBRy3N.jpg
 
Maybe a cyphastrea or astreapora. Both are arguable whether sps or lps. But generally listed as LPS because of care conditions.
 
It seems sympodium is best possibly. To confirm it, has the polyps ever been out? If they resemble a small clove polyp, It is more than likely a sympodium.
 
It seems sympodium is best possibly. To confirm it, has the polyps ever been out? If they resemble a small clove polyp, It is more than likely a sympodium.

Yes, the polyps come out frequently but for shorter lengths of time and the overall size of the frag is shrinking. This picture isn't great but it shows the polyps out.

mC5py7t.jpg
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new