Need Advice: Care Plan for High School Reef

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am a high school school biology teacher building a nano rank in my classroom with my stedudents. If you would like to check out our build here is link...

https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/5626744/

Anyways, we are at the point where we can start adding livestock. I would like to make this project as student run as possible. So I would like to create a plan for regular care and maintainable for the tank. The students have a “academic lab” every other day. I was planning to have students come in pairs to work with the tank during this period.

What I need to determine is what kind of regualar maintainer should be done and how often.

Basic Ideas
- Feeding (I will feed on off days)
- Water testing (what to test and how often?)
- Cleaning
- water changes
- creation of a “reef journal”
- Equipment maintainable

Looking for the ideal schedule to maximize tank care and exposure to the working with the tank. Please share any suggestions you have for specifics of these tasks and / or any additional ideas you have. Thanks in advance!!!!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I am a high school school biology teacher building a nano rank in my classroom with my stedudents. If you would like to check out our build here is link...

https://www.reef2reef.com/posts/5626744/

Anyways, we are at the point where we can start adding livestock. I would like to make this project as student run as possible. So I would like to create a plan for regular care and maintainable for the tank. The students have a “academic lab” every other day. I was planning to have students come in pairs to work with the tank during this period.

What I need to determine is what kind of regualar maintainer should be done and how often.

Basic Ideas
- Feeding (I will feed on off days)
- Water testing (what to test and how often?)
- Cleaning
- water changes
- creation of a “reef journal”
- Equipment maintainable

Looking for the ideal schedule to maximize tank care and exposure to the working with the tank. Please share any suggestions you have for specifics of these tasks and / or any additional ideas you have. Thanks in advance!!!!

Very cool!

My suggestions (and expect some variations/opinions)

Feeding, once daily, and a varied diet, pellets one day, flake another, frozen mysis or other another, observing fish to see what they eat and like.

Water testing, what a friend used to refer to as Big MAC, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Calcium would be my main focus, weekly.

Cleaning, as needed.

water changes, 10% weekly

Reef journal, dates of bulb purchases if not LEDs, any new additions, feeding responses, test results of water params weekly

Equipment maintenance may vary depending on what it is used.

Good luck, post pics along way!

OP
OP
Zach0918

Zach0918

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. Definately helpful! There a pics on the build thread from barebones biocube to the tank as it sits now. As we go I will be posting pics.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back