Need advice on moving a nano reef tank? No fish yet

Elle.michelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my friend knows the owner of my favorite lfs and is getting me a ridiculous deal on a loaded 28 gallon starphire glass cube tank thats been running in his shop for a few years with live rock, live sand, some hermit crabs and a couple pieces of coral (I've been dying to start a saltwater tank and I can actually afford it now ). He told me he would even hook me up with some buckets of mixed water.

What do you think the best way to move this tank will be to ensure the safety if the coral and crabs? I have 6 10gal buckets to work with...

How likely is it that the tank won't start the cycling process over if I keep the sand and rocks in the water in buckets while moving?

I have everything I need and have been studying everything I can about saltwater tanks, I have a good idea of the basics from working with freshwater tanks for 6 years. I am very new with saltwater so I am trying my best not to make mistakes.

I will wait to get the tank stabilized before adding a pair of clowns.

DrinkinPepsi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way i was able to move my 20 was move all live stock to bags. i put the rock and water in a cooler ( you could use buckets) and leave the sand in the tank...best not to disterbe the sand bed. leave a little water to cover the sand and when you get home fill with the rock and water. You will have very little die off on the rock and will be just fine.

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved nanos several times. Always do a water change. You can get food grade 5 gallon buckets from lowes with a rubber seal. Keep half or so of the water and ditch half. Carry large colonies and live rock in the buckets w the water and bag what you can. Leave the sand and some water; as you move it all the detritus will get kicked up. Cut a piece of bonded filter to put on the bottom add a bit of water and soak up the detritus and ring it out several times, that should prevent a large nitrate spike. After all the rock and water is settled test a couple times over a few hours then add your fish. Maybe do small water changes, over several days. If you get a large nitrate spike do a rapid stepped water change if you know what that is.

ShannPeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DrinkinPepsi pretty much covered it. Be prepared to do water changes after the move though, as you can expect some nutrient cycling to occur no matter how gently and carefully you go about it. I've moved several of my tanks several times, once to another state, and never had a huge problem. But I would always do several water changes for at least a week after the move. One a day for two or three days after, then another a few days later. Make sure to blow any sand off any coral in there so they don't get smothered after the move.

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you're going to make mistakes. That's what makes this hobby enjoyable and challenging. It's how we learn. It's rewarding though, even through the heartbreak of losing a piece or killing a prized fish.

OP
OP
Elle.michelle

Elle.michelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! I got it moved, everything survived so far, although I'm not sure if the sponge was alive to begin with... While placing the rock I managed to freak out and almost dropped a huge rock on the floor when a creepy black stomatella/limpet (not sure which) crawled across my hand...
Here are pics!

Is this thing alive? What kind of sponge is it?
IMAG0006.jpg

Full tank, not sure how big exactly, will find out!
IMAG0016.jpg

You can sort of see the feather duster in the hole...
IMAG0015.jpg

Let me know what I can do to improve! Will be testing and watching water like a hawk, I was told I have some difficult stuff for a beginner...

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 221
OP
OP
Elle.michelle

Elle.michelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waaay off, this is only a 15 gallon... I had my suspicions, but I think the guy who sold this to me either doesn't know what hes doing or hes a little too good at ripping people off... He also told me the sponge was definitely alive...

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank, a cool sponge to. how much did you get the tank for?

OP
OP
Elle.michelle

Elle.michelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything: tank, heater, light, live rock, live sand, various coral, a few assorted hermits and water for $350, so I think I still got a deal, but I won't have as much to work with as I thought and it will be a little more difficult to keep my water levels where they need to be.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back