• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Need advice on price. Moving

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,
Life is changing and with the retirement of my wife it means downsizing. We are selling our home and I have to sell my beloved Reef Tank. I've been doing this seriously since 1998.

I didn't post in selling forum because I have no idea for a price. So, I need some thoughts on pricing for the whole setup.

Here are the particulars:
240gal Great Lakes Tank, never drilled 8'
2x 100 gal Rubbermaid tub sumps. Drilled in tandem to use 2 large tubes between them (sweet setup). First tub has the pellet reactors, ETSS 1400, heaters, A lot of LR and it has two 2" tubes connected to the next tub that has the intake for the Reeflow return, the ATO float and a screened floating refugium with algae and about 5 big rbtas that escaped from the pack.
2x ETSS 1400, but it's huge and takes a Panworld 250 to run or Iwaki 100. Has dual tubes in the back for the feed and it's about 4' high.
Reeflo Barracuda
6 or more LED lights. Tons more types in the back too, like T5's fixture(s)
Huge 1600gph overflows plumbed with sewer pipe into the first tub that drains into the second tub where the Reeflo sends it back to the tank. One overflow needs one seal.
Lots of ph.
Tunzes x 4 or 5 can't remember
Iwaki pumps 50 and 70 I think. Might be a 100 too.
Pellet reactors
Heaters
controller
Old Aqua uv that still works needs bulb
Lots of parts
Lots more I can't remember.
2x 55 Plastic food certified water drums for salt mixing and turn a switch and it feeds the fresh salt water back into the system.
RO system 100gph membrane, piped into a float for the auto top off and piped into the 55 gal drums for refill after the water change.

Livestock:
At least 10 rbta's that are hosting 8 perculas
At least 5 toadstools (1 giant one)
Lots of Zoas
A little bit of frogspawn
Orange Yumas
Belus Angel female perfect condition with streamers
Timini Tang
Purple Tang hlle bad
Regal Tang hlle not bad, but huge
Spotted Gobi (shows up now and then)
psudocromis bicolor fat from all the bugs
Foxface perfect condition but huge
8 hosted perculas. Love the rbta's
Who knows what else is in there?

The tank is running now and has been for years. It runs itself and I've left for 18 days without checking it (I do have a camera on it, but that's all). Auto top off, Auto lights, Auto heat, Auto fan, Auto feed, Giant plumbing, valved so you can do a 100 gallon water change in about 15 to 30 minutes.

I've made this thing easy to maintain so I'm not married to it.

So here are the catches:
I won't part out.
I need it all taken by the buyer and his two friends at least I'd think and their 8' bed pickup. Cash or Paypal please.

What kind of a price would you guys put it up for?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people over estimate how much people want a complete system. I've seen so many systems sit idly by until the owners start parting it out. You might have to wait a very long time to sell a complete system, because most people looking at 8 foot long tanks will want to customize them, themselves. Personally, if I ever shut down my system I'd sell it piecemeal.

I wouldn't imagine getting more than 2000$ for any system, of any size. But it also depends where you live and how big of a market there is. In NY, we have a very active community, but I've been trying to sell a 110 gallon for over a year and I've basically ended up at a quarter of what I paid for it. Look at retail and then start off at half price and expect to come down to a quarter if you want to move the entire thing together. I just do not see a lot of demand for complete systems personally.
I don't mean to sound negative, but I want to be honest with my experiences selling equipment and systems as it's very frustrating. People low ball and back out. And everyone wants a new system. At best people will take some of your system, but it's extremely rare to fine someone who wants it exactly like you have set it up.

OP
OP
TomToro

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people over estimate how much people want a complete system. I've seen so many systems sit idly by until the owners start parting it out. You might have to wait a very long time to sell a complete system, because most people looking at 8 foot long tanks will want to customize them, themselves. Personally, if I ever shut down my system I'd sell it piecemeal.

I wouldn't imagine getting more than 2000$ for any system, of any size. But it also depends where you live and how big of a market there is. In NY, we have a very active community, but I've been trying to sell a 110 gallon for over a year and I've basically ended up at a quarter of what I paid for it. Look at retail and then start off at half price and expect to come down to a quarter if you want to move the entire thing together. I just do not see a lot of demand for complete systems personally.
I don't mean to sound negative, but I want to be honest with my experiences selling equipment and systems as it's very frustrating. People low ball and back out. And everyone wants a new system. At best people will take some of your system, but it's extremely rare to fine someone who wants it exactly like you have set it up.

I appreciate your candor and that is good advice. I just don't have the time to piece it out. I'm actually thinking $500 for everything, but that still might be a problem for a whole system. Thank you for the reply.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at $500 you'd move it very quickly. I just meant that whole systems sometimes take a while to move, but at $500, it's almost worth it for someone to subsume the stock and part the system out for you.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back