New FOWLR Tank Advice

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Looking for some equipment advice. Just started cycling a FOWLR tank. I am using a tideline 31lagoon AIO for my tank. I’ve got live rock and sand in for the cycle. Other equipment I have right now is a 200watt heater and small wave maker. Filter wise it has a filter sock and I have a media sponge on top of the sock. Was looking at a skimmer and auto top off. Would love to hear others opinions on some equipment suggestions that fit. For reference there is about 3.75” of depth in the back chamber. Thanks in advance!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the tank is 31 gallons correct? if so I would just skip the HOB skimmer. they are nice but can be ugly and can leak.
so I would just do weekly 10% WC and call it good.

also I am a big fan of the intank media baskets . they allow you to stank differnt media like GFO ,carbon, floss etc. when i ran an AIO I really liked them.

an ATO is a must in my option. that is where i would spend the money on right now.
lots of option out there. for a ATO res. I really like 10 gal. petco tanks ( 10 bucks on there sales ) go to a glass shop and have them cut a piece of 1/4" plate glass with one corner cut off for hoses and what not. if you need to hide it there are creative ways to do .

enjoy the tank!

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the tank is 31 gallons correct? if so I would just skip the HOB skimmer. they are nice but can be ugly and can leak.
so I would just do weekly 10% WC and call it good.

also I am a big fan of the intank media baskets . they allow you to stank differnt media like GFO ,carbon, floss etc. when i ran an AIO I really liked them.

an ATO is a must in my option. that is where i would spend the money on right now.
lots of option out there. for a ATO res. I really like 10 gal. petco tanks ( 10 bucks on there sales ) go to a glass shop and have them cut a piece of 1/4" plate glass with one corner cut off for hoses and what not. if you need to hide it there are creative ways to do .

enjoy the tank!
Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions on an ATO? I’ve seen conflicting reviews on most. I can hide it under the stand thankfully.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions on an ATO? I’ve seen conflicting reviews on most. I can hide it under the stand thankfully.
oh great I forgot about that aspect of AIO tanks. :)

there will always be conflicting options on reef gear. lots of people love the classic Tunze ATOs I found the pump quite loud.
the new one looks interesting but again mixed reviews and they changed the pump style and removed the float switch. but worth looking into.

I have used a auto aqua smart mirco for about 8 years or on and off and many tanks. loved it. but the last few months the sensor starting to bug out at times. I no longer trust it 100%

the trick for an AIO is you got to find one that will fit in the return section. that rules out most. so find the few that does and see what feature they offer and pick one.

also if you are going to use a controller you could get the hydros lunch and there ATO I think would be a good fit. something to think about.

OP
OP
Sjhoppes

Sjhoppes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh great I forgot about that aspect of AIO tanks. :)

there will always be conflicting options on reef gear. lots of people love the classic Tunze ATOs I found the pump quite loud.
the new one looks interesting but again mixed reviews and they changed the pump style and removed the float switch. but worth looking into.

I have used a auto aqua smart mirco for about 8 years or on and off and many tanks. loved it. but the last few months the sensor starting to bug out at times. I no longer trust it 100%

the trick for an AIO is you got to find one that will fit in the return section. that rules out most. so find the few that does and see what feature they offer and pick one.

also if you are going to use a controller you could get the hydros lunch and there ATO I think would be a good fit. something to think about.
I’ll take a look at those for sure. I hadn’t planned on doing a controller right out of the gate but could.

I did find a company that does 3D printed to fit in my tank. Looks like they have one that does filter floss and then 3 baskets below it. Any suggestions on products to run in there? I’m assuming you would need something bagged not lose.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take a look at those for sure. I hadn’t planned on doing a controller right out of the gate but could.

I did find a company that does 3D printed to fit in my tank. Looks like they have one that does filter floss and then 3 baskets below it. Any suggestions on products to run in there? I’m assuming you would need something bagged not lose.
yes you deff. want it bagged. there are filter media bags out there.
as far as what to run in there there are alot of options all depending on what you want to accomplish. people seem to use things like carbon, chemo pure, GFO, purigen and bio media.

I like filter floss on top changed out 2X a week -purigen & carbon and rock rubble at the bottom. but like i said it all depends on whats going on with your tank.

good think about tank that size is it's easy to do 50-75% WC if needed. the down side to tanks that small is things can and do happen fast.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back