should I remove some rock from a new bare-bottom FOWLR?

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start off with my question and then get to some details:

Is the circled rock doing more harm than good? My concern is having enough rock or surface density for a bare bottom FOWLR vs. roaming space for my little buddies, BJ and Bear.

signal-2024-01-03-104914.jpeg

This is a 14 gallon IM AIO with 14 pounds of BRS "reef saver" rock. The top filter chamber is fiber balls. The middle chamber has the previous generation of fiber balls sitting on top of a poly fiber filter pad and a "Nitrate Removal Filtration Pad" from BRS. The bottom chamber has bio balls and activated carbon. My plan is to add new fiber balls to the top chamber before they get too dirty, and move the old ones down to the second chamber until the next rotation to maintain bacteria. There's enough flow to add another fiber pad each week and cycle those as well. The bio balls don't seem to impact flow at all.

The rock in the tank is in two pieces: The arch in the middle of the tank, which is right at 11 pounds, and the standalone piece that is circled, which is about 3 pounds. The standalone piece is helping to block the view of a heater and the return nozzles.

After adding the fish, it is apparent that they can't (or won't) swim in that corner of the tank at all. The 3 pound piece of rock creates such a small gap that the fish avoid that area. There's just not much more surface area on the bottom to add more rock. So I feel like I have two short-term choices: Remove the rock (less surface area) or leave the rock in place (less exercise area).

Any recommendations from the FOWLR community for this novice and his buddies? Would removing the rock really negatively impact the cycle?

signal-2024-01-03-105901.jpeg
signal-2024-01-03-105913.jpeg

Thanks. ;)

Edit: The tank has now been up and running for 53 days (52 to establish the cycle, and 1 with the fish). I have not needed to clean the tank yet and have had no meaningful algae growth at all yet. There is a protein skimmer in the middle chamber, but it isn't running yet.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yeah, that's way too much rock. You also don't really have any hiding places. I would be inclined to try bashing up the removed rock with a hammer, see if you can get some nice-looking small pieces to build caves out of.

You should have enough biofilter on everything else to be okay. Just don't start feeding more than you have been, and check for ammonia periodically just in case. That's a very, very immature tank.

If you can, you might want to get some empty shells, dead-coral frag plugs, or the like from someone with a healthy tank. That'll help introduce more bacteria and algae to get things properly started on all that white rock.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a FOWLR but if I were you I would split the rock into 3-4 pieces with a chisel and hammer. Those rocks are really easy to break.

IMO it would look better, give more space to the fish, allow for hiding places and still give you room for micro-organismes.

OP
OP
splunty

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I did break it up and scattered around. There is plenty of roaming space now so there is lots of time to consider any other rockscape ideas!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove, break into smaller pieces and use it all to make more characteristics. More caves, arches, pass through, islands

OP
OP
splunty

splunty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for the replies and suggestions. There's now a dark cave in the back, a smaller arch, a small cave in the front, and more room for lighting to come down. I'm trying to get two more flat pieces from the removed part to place on the bare bottom in front for aesthetics. But I think this is better!

I was very worried about stressing the clowns, but I swear they were just super interested in what I was doing.

signal-2024-01-04-120820_002.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for the replies and suggestions. There's now a dark cave in the back, a smaller arch, a small cave in the front, and more room for lighting to come down. I'm trying to get two more flat pieces from the removed part to place on the bare bottom in front for aesthetics. But I think this is better!

I was very worried about stressing the clowns, but I swear they were just super interested in what I was doing.

signal-2024-01-04-120820_002.jpeg
Enjoy it while you can. Mine viciously attack me any time my hands are in the tank.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, there we go, that looks much better! Both for aesthetics and for practicality.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back