Need Advice on Tank Restart/Upgrade

Will777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon reef tank is neglected and in poor shape since I’ve lost a majority of my coral and fish to a 4 day power outage. I want to restart with a new tank. I don’t have many fish, just a couple of clownfish and damsels. I do have a very large frogspawn colony that I want to keep safe. I would have to remove my old tank to put in the new tank. My rock is covered in hair algae. Should I reuse my sand, rock, and water to avoid a major cycle in the new tank? I just don’t want to lose the frogspawn. How should I go about transferring to the new tank? I really appreciate any helpful advice.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon reef tank is neglected and in poor shape since I’ve lost a majority of my coral and fish to a 4 day power outage. I want to restart with a new tank. I don’t have many fish, just a couple of clownfish and damsels. I do have a very large frogspawn colony that I want to keep safe. I would have to remove my old tank to put in the new tank. My rock is covered in hair algae. Should I reuse my sand, rock, and water to avoid a major cycle in the new tank? I just don’t want to lose the frogspawn. How should I go about transferring to the new tank? I really appreciate any helpful advice.

First things first.. Why start a new tank? Sounds like a little TLC will bring your current tank back in short order?

Reuse the old rock for sure. Pull off the hair algae as best as you can but otherwise use it "As Is".

If you are going to replace the tank, I would use as much of the clear tank water as you can. Siphon off as much as you can without exposing your corals, then take your fish and corals and put them into the bucket with the tank water, a heater and a powerhead that is aimed at the surface. Be sure to break surface tension to promote oxygen exchange. You don't need whitecaps, but you need agitation. They will most likely spend at LEAST 1 night in this container. Probably 2.

The sand can be reused. It is generally advised that you wash the heck out of it first.

Keep in mind, this is a big project, especially for a tank your size. Plan at least a weekend to get it done.

Do as much of the work beforehand as possible.. meaning get your RODI running and make up as much new saltwater as you can. Make sure that it's at tank temp so you can make the transfer easier.

OP
OP
W

Will777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first.. Why start a new tank? Sounds like a little TLC will bring your current tank back in short order?

Reuse the old rock for sure. Pull off the hair algae as best as you can but otherwise use it "As Is".

If you are going to replace the tank, I would use as much of the clear tank water as you can. Siphon off as much as you can without exposing your corals, then take your fish and corals and put them into the bucket with the tank water, a heater and a powerhead that is aimed at the surface. Be sure to break surface tension to promote oxygen exchange. You don't need whitecaps, but you need agitation. They will most likely spend at LEAST 1 night in this container. Probably 2.

The sand can be reused. It is generally advised that you wash the heck out of it first.

Keep in mind, this is a big project, especially for a tank your size. Plan at least a weekend to get it done.

Do as much of the work beforehand as possible.. meaning get your RODI running and make up as much new saltwater as you can. Make sure that it's at tank temp so you can make the transfer easier.
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the advice! I am considering restarting because the tank I have is second hand, it came with a lot of scratches and the stand is not in the best shape. So that’s why I’m considering to start with a new tank. I do understand this will be a major job that would probably take up the weekend.

When you say “wash the sand” do you mean with freshwater or to clean it with a siphon?

I also have crushed coral in my sump (there is detritus build up on the crushed coral) , is that something worth saving?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the advice! I am considering restarting because the tank I have is second hand, it came with a lot of scratches and the stand is not in the best shape. So that’s why I’m considering to start with a new tank. I do understand this will be a major job that would probably take up the weekend.

When you say “wash the sand” do you mean with freshwater or to clean it with a siphon?

I also have crushed coral in my sump (there is detritus build up on the crushed coral) , is that something worth saving?

I mean wash it as if it was brand new... Put some in a bucket and flush it with the hose till the water runs clear. A final rinse in RO water and then you are back in business.

I would do the same with the crushed coral in the sump. It is certainly worth saving. If it is clean and nice looking enough you could even use it as substrate in the display. Back in the old days, crushed coral was the preferred substrate for virtually all saltwater tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back