Need Advice Quickly

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Porcupine Puffer along with 3 other fish died abruptly today. The puffer has been dead for a maximum of 12 hours. But also could’ve died only 2 hours ago. I just got home. I don’t know if porcupines release a toxin upon death or after 12 hours of being dead. My main concern is, I have open wounds on my hand. Will I be safe putting my hand in the water? All I’m worried about is if the puffer releases toxin. I’m not worried about a dirty fish tank.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they release toxin?
They generally don't. They are poisonous in that they accumulate tetrodotoxin in their skin and organs. That being said, once they star decaying, their toxin can definitely get in the water. So be careful

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, I don't know the exact answer. They do have toxins in their skin, but can that be transferred by the spines? I don't know. I've heard people say yes, and others say no. The normal way they are poisonous is if you were to eat them. There is no risk of toxins in the water itself.

However, ANY fish that has died in an aquarium should be handled wearing gloves as there are some nasty bacteria like Vibrio that humans can get sick from.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back