Need advise on cloudy tank

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi folks,

my tank is 3m 26d old, 30 US gallon size.
i seeded the tank with brightwell aquatics microbacter starter XLM and drop some ammonia to get 2 ppm for cycle to start.
then after 4 days ammonia was 0, nitrite rose up to 3.3 ppm, then after 22 days, ammo = 0, nitrite = 0, but I got nitrate = 0 also.

Filtration are filter sock, skimmer, ecobioblocks, chaeto.
Dosing : Reef Energy AB+ 1ml/day, NoPoX 1 ml/day; Big3 (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html).

1594564177676.png

i'm going to maintain the sailinity at 33 ppt

1594564258794.png

big 3 are not stable yet

1594564328473.png

for the last 2 weeks, i dose KNO3; afraid of dino

as of now, tank looks cloudy because of bha everywhere.
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-08 at 20.36.20.jpeg

i think SPS frags are not going to make it, and so are the torches below.
There are only 2 fishes : scopas tang and lawnmower blenny.

Why bha grows so much even though NO3 and PO4 are low.
What to do?

Thanks folks.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just go to the basics and feed the fish and don’t dose anything. There should be no need for dosing Red Sea or nitrate or nopox. Let the tank stabilize with the food you feed the fish, this is all you need to have a nice tank. If you only dosed ammonia once to start the cycle then the cycle is not finished. The ammonia should be dosed daily until fish are added imo.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I don’t run anything until the tank “needs” it. Like a skimmer or carbon. Hell I have a 2 year old tank that just has filter floss because the nitrates never take off.
It looks like you did a lot in a very short amount of time.

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just go to the basics and feed the fish and don’t dose anything. There should be no need for dosing Red Sea or nitrate or nopox. Let the tank stabilize with the food you feed the fish, this is all you need to have a nice tank. If you only dosed ammonia once to start the cycle then the cycle is not finished. The ammonia should be dosed daily until fish are added imo.

ahh, i understand, so the tank is not yet cycled, and i'll take it slowly...
no fancy dosing and let the bacteria grow naturally...

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I don’t run anything until the tank “needs” it. Like a skimmer or carbon. Hell I have a 2 year old tank that just has filter floss because the nitrates never take off.
It looks like you did a lot in a very short amount of time.
hmm... i'll think about the skimmer... but maybe one at a time, at the moment stop fancy dosing and continue monitoring the system. thanks.

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tank is cycled. However it is not mature, therefore it is still experiencing ugly phases.

How does bha grow in low nitrate and low phosphate; is it because not enuf physical removal?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bha grows so much even though NO3 and PO4 are low.
What to do?

Its a mini ecosystem and the algae is using no3 and po4 to grow. On the reef there are something like 3-5 sea urchins per square meter that deal with it.

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually remove any algae until clean up crews can manage it and the tank balances out. What is bha?

brown hair algae.
at the moment, i'm just watching algae growth, not scrubbing the glass or manually removing algae... just monitoring water parameter and stabilize the basics: salinity, temperature, big 3; and feeding the fishes. no amino, no coral food, no nopox.
my blenny just laid eggs, ... but after few days all eggs were eaten by tang :-(

OP
OP
O

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a mini ecosystem and the algae is using no3 and po4 to grow. On the reef there are something like 3-5 sea urchins per square meter that deal with it.
i only have 5 astrea snails, 4 thor shrimps and 1 Lysmata kuekenthali shrimp in there.
maybe it's the longer road... however it's better now than later after stocking corals & more fishes.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have 5 astrea snails, 4 thor shrimps and 1 Lysmata kuekenthali shrimp in there.
maybe it's the longer road... however it's better now than later after stocking corals & more fishes.
If you tank isnt covered by coral on every inch of surface, algae will take its place. Urchins are your answer imo. Tangs work good too.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back