Need advise on my sump design

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have come up three different designs out of a standard 55 gallon tank. Will you guys please look them over and tell me:

A. What you think
B. What should be different
C. Which one you would choose

I based the measurements for the skimmer and return chamber on the sump I currently have. I figured if those chambers, especially the skimmer, are the same then the skimmer should run the same in the new sump. The measurements for the filter sock and filter floss designs are a little tricky because I don't know what socks to use or how big the filter floss baskets will be. Lots of choices there but either way the fuge will be bigger than the ten gallon I am using now.

There is one big question I do have. How do you attach the intake pipes to the sump? I was think I could use a piece of Plexiglas to put the bulkheads in and glue or silicone that down to the top. Will that work? I cannot drill this tank, it is tempered glass.

Filter sock design. The top of the baffle between the fuge and skimmer chambers will be a removable screen on all three designs for easy cleaning of the collected algae.

filter sock design.jpg

Filter floss design

filter floss design.jpg

Bubble trap design. I know a lot people do no filter socks and it works for them but I have always been running socks on this system.

bubble trap intake design.jpg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need a bubble trap at the last baffle before the return pump. Also, you can dump the drain directly into the sock (design 1) or refugium (design 3). I would put the skimmer on a stand to increase the water height in the return pump section. The “under” baffles don’t need to go all the way to the top. HTH

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you more or less set on the sump lay out, the only difference being sock or filter floss. I’d say do both. On the chamber we’re you doing the shelf for the filter floss, cut out a piece of acrylic that could fit 2 filter socks if you fancy a change just use some egg crate shelf instead.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of space wasted in your mechanical filter area. It's also going to be a pain to clean

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your skimmer goes crazy it could lead to alot of air bubbles in the DT since it's next to the return pump,

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need a bubble trap at the last baffle before the return pump. Also, you can dump the drain directly into the sock (design 1) or refugium (design 3). I would put the skimmer on a stand to increase the water height in the return pump section. The “under” baffles don’t need to go all the way to the top. HTH
Dumping the drains directly into the sock would make things easier, thank you. So I would just need a baffle that is open on the bottom after that chamber, yes?

I thought about raising the skimmer so I could raise the water line in the return chamber but my concern was in case of a power outage that lasts longer than the battery backup (about four hours) the sump would not overflow.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you more or less set on the sump lay out, the only difference being sock or filter floss. I’d say do both. On the chamber we’re you doing the shelf for the filter floss, cut out a piece of acrylic that could fit 2 filter socks if you fancy a change just use some egg crate shelf instead.
If I do the filter sock design which is looking more likely I would have floss in the sock.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of space wasted in your mechanical filter area. It's also going to be a pain to clean
I wondered about that, cleaning them. But from another comment early it seems I don't need a bubble trap on that side so I think I will do away with that and just make the refugium bigger.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a or b bit put the bubble trap after the skimmer before your return. No need to baffle all the way to the top either. Waste of material. Maybe add a few bio bricks in the skimmer section as well

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I took another stab at it and decided on this design based on your recommendations. The sock section might have to be bigger depending on the sock dimensions that I go with but this is the new layout. Please tell me what you think. TIA

revise sump design.jpg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a decent plan. I would leave the filter floss out unless needed. With the right flow rate, the bubble trap will remove any micro bubbles on its own. I made my downstream baffle about 1/4-1/2” lower than the upstream over baffle and never saw them.

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a decent plan. I would leave the filter floss out unless needed. With the right flow rate, the bubble trap will remove any micro bubbles on its own. I made my downstream baffle about 1/4-1/2” lower than the upstream over baffle and never saw them.
Forgive my lack of terminology but just to clarify. By downstream you mean the baffle on the left? So of the three baffles between the skimmer and return, you made the baffle on the left 1/4-1/2" lower than the baffle on the right? Is that correct?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, downstream is the direction the water is heading. The baffle closer to the return pump. That way you get just a hint of a waterfall (Think water flowing over a submerged rock in a river). The idea is to have enough drop to ripple the water surface between the baffles and break the surface tension so you don’t get an oil slick gathering there. Does that make sense?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back