Need an ID on the Dino - video included

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I stitched together almost 3minutes of video lol so hopefully I get a good ID on this pain

These are Prorocentrum and can multiply easily. Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and tank is already doomed. Its important though to identify the type of dino for most effective battle.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10% IF you have light dependant corals such as SPS) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights which works as an oxidizer. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED AMINO OR ADD NOPOX which is food for dinos, however you can feed coral, food which will help no3 and po4 to increase. If increasing nutrients, try to keep no3 to about 5 until you are done battling these cells.
Doing a daily siphoning will help greatly But . . . . . Siphoning will reduce nutrients , so siphon the water into/through a filter sock and save the water and return it back to tank. Obviously clean the filter sock each time.
You can feed fish as normal and if doing blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Prorocentrum would be my guess. Doesn’t look as “beaky” as Large Cell. Either way they are sandy bois and treatment is fairly similar. I have a patch of Small Cell in one spot on my tank. Those things are wild to watch, they go zooming by, like a Mach speed Roomba. Elevate nutrients, dose sodium silicate, possibly phyto or MB7, and wait it out. I’ve found siphoning and sand stirring do nothing at all. Even siphoning into a 5 micron sock doesn’t make a dent. And you’re probably stripping away the good guys that can’t replicate as fast as dinos anyways.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having issues with po4 and no3. I have been feeding fish more often (and heavy) and does po4. I get Po4 up for a day or two and dose again. Nitrates was 4.5 last check po4 ZERO! I do not run whites, reds, or greens on my tank at all. I’m sure my horde of nems would be mad about lights. I had one down for a few days and they all tried to migrate to the other side of the tank….talk about a bunch of unhappy corals lol. I have reduced my lights length of time that they are on cut a total of 2 hours over the last month.

I’ve done the sand siphoning and I’m kinda to the point I need to add sand back in……

I’m getting ready to order a bigger tank and I really don’t want to bring the problem with me.

I pulled have my chateo, I may pull half of that. I’m not doing water changes but I am dosing the tank with trace minerals.

Fun stuff ….

The microscopic view was trippy for sure….watch this little video - keep your eyes at the bottom of the video!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The microscopic view was trippy for sure….watch this little video - keep your eyes at the bottom of the video!
That little crab thing looks like a marine mite (harmless). The dinos are indeed prorocentrum - nice video.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back