Need an id please

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these 2 white tubes growing along one of my corral and have no clue what is. You can see the bigger one growing on the frag plug and another on the top right of the coral.

fd57599dd213da96af6c173603ceca14.jpg

Another concern is I decided to turn on my white lights at max to see if there was anything else I’ve been missing. What I found was a bunch of these polyps growing throughout the rocks.

1c7614ec858fabf3ab3fe1616178fbea.jpg
6c6be8e4f6c7d911f7e7dd6076b714ad.jpg

Any help with an ID and if I should be concerned would be helpful.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news and bad news. Feather dusters and sponges (white, bulbous, generally shadowed) are fine. Harmless filter feeders. That they are there is a good sign IMO.

Not the best picture for those in the middle, but look a whole lot like aiptasia. Also known as glass anemones. These things multiply like crazy and will sting corals. Google some images to confirm. Hopefully I am wrong.

There are a few predators for aiptasia but hit/miss. True peppermint shrimp will keep small ones at bay. Do some research with your LFS to make sure you get the correct species. File fish will often eat them but not always reef safe. Butterfly fish sometimes, but very high mortality rates on those fish.

Injecting them with kalk paste or Aiptasia-X is a must -- especially for the larger ones. Some folks use lemon juice apparently. This must be done in the tank, the anemones will just shrink/close up if you lift the rock out of the tank.

Good luck.

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia nudibranch are amazing. Nipped my aiptasia right in the bud. They do die once no more aiptasia are left so it’s ideal if you have friends or a club to pass them on.

OP
OP
Miamialum620

Miamialum620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the crappy photos. They’re so tiny that only video seems to really capture them. Maybe this is slightly better. With the whites turned on they are purple in appearance almost like Xenias which is why I most likely missed them with the blues turned on. The more I look around the tank the more I find.

e5a317b7678ad0bc23dc985a38289ace.jpg

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same bulbous white sponges as shown in post #2. Let me tell you one thing: they Will take over your tank if you do not intervene. Removal is easy. I'm also convinced that they disappear when your tank is maturing.

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally would order a few berghia ASAP. Looks like our friend aiptasia. Plenty of other more seasoned folks than me though.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, now that you mention hydroids, I think you might be right. Small in size, and the stem is very thin relative to the polyp head.

They don't sting anything so you can choose to leave or remove.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back