Need an ID Please

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, Please, PLEASE tell me this is not 100 aiptasia's sprung up overnight in a tank that had none! They appeared in the nano this morning.
whatisit.jpg

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the bad shot. Our Canon is in the shop and all I had to use was this vidcam which isn't the easiest thing to get still shots with.

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I had these its a small filter feeding type what I thought was a certain species of jellyfish hitxhhiker harmless and don't finish life cycle.

For those of you reefers about to "rock"- we salute you ;)

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! Thank you Jennifier! I'm likely trading this tank this weekend and didn't know how I'd kill all these before it went! Jellyfish huh ? Cool!

Jennifier615

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refer to chucksaddiction.com and look at the hitchhiker under jellyfish this may be your answer

For those of you reefers about to "rock"- we salute you ;)

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure whether jelly or hydroid, but either way it's not aiptasia. And there's no coral in there at the time for them to kill, though if the trade happens the new owner wants coral in there. I like the idea of jellyfish!

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like Hydroids to me and you don't want them as they spread and kill other things they come up against. JMO
Bill

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bill. I already traded the tank out so the new guy has them. They do have tubes they retract into so they weren't aiptasia anyway. I messaged you about him his name is Brad and he's in your neighborhood. He needs to meet some more reefers. And he needs some coral for his new nano :) We got his 75. It was too big for their living room. Very nice guy and loves the world of salt.

Mobikob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on hydroids. FYI they do have a good sting and are invasive. I think there is a nudibranch that feeds on these specifically.
Mobi

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bill. I already traded the tank out so the new guy has them. They do have tubes they retract into so they weren't aiptasia anyway. I messaged you about him his name is Brad and he's in your neighborhood. He needs to meet some more reefers. And he needs some coral for his new nano :) We got his 75. It was too big for their living room. Very nice guy and loves the world of salt.
Your Welcome, I have been Super Busy and just do not have the time to spare at the moment for any more projects or meetings. I will give you or him a call soon.
Bill

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well meanwhile he's met Rhett and was happy about that.
We got the 75 with an 8 inch lionfish from him and he only had it a few days. But the previous owners never siphoned and they fed the fish goldfish, so all this crap lifted off the sand in the move, and then even worse when I put a good powerhead in. The lionfish never did seem right since he came over here--laid around and was breathing hard. Last night I tested the water and the nitrates were instantly the darkest on the chart, so we did another water change and I put in nitrate reducer and then some prime, because I'd heard that will neutralize some of the nitrates. It was still the highest it could be. This morning the poor lion was dead. Another water change and siphoning a bunch of stuff off the substrate, and still the nitrates are high but they took a minute to go all the way up. Any other methods for getting them down? Should we keep going slow even though they're this high? There's still a clown and 2 damsels in there. I really feel bad for that lion, but the damage was already done before either we or Brad got him, though the moves probably made things happen faster with all that stirring up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back