Need an opinion. Corals not opening

Bsarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a few new corals to my tank. There’s 2 I’m concerned about. I added them to the tank on Tuesday. My other corals before these opened up within the day they were added and have been fine ever since. I did a 50% water change on Sunday and my parameters seem to be in check. Is this a flow issue or possible lighting issue? Combo of both? Ones a clove polyp and the other a zoa.

86B4CEE9-BBDA-4F6C-A764-4F788AE3A002.jpeg C368E6FA-80B3-45AE-BB99-673E39BF1E71.jpeg

OP
OP
Bsarge

Bsarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks dim. what is your lighting like? and what are your parameters?
Currently at work so I can only tell you what I know off the top of my head.
I run one Ai prime 16hd. 12 hour (5 hour photo period) schedule. UV: 75 Violet: 65 royal: 85 blue: 85 green: 5% no reds no moonlight Cool white is 8% after 5PM is strictly blues. (I have the light set for acclimation in these pictures at about 50% now)

water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: .02
Nitrates: at least 10
PH: 8
Alk: between 8 and 9 (can’t remember exact number)
Mag: 1260
Calcium: 400

OP
OP
Bsarge

Bsarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one Ai prime 16hd. 12 hour (5 hour photo period) schedule. UV: 75 Violet: 65 royal: 85 blue: 85 green: 5% no reds no moonlight Cool white is 8% after 5PM is strictly blues. (I have the light set for acclimation in these pictures at about 50% now)

water parameters:
Salinity: 1.024/1.025

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

water parameters:
Everything seems ok. Just try and keep them as stable as you can. Some corals take a while...they do look partially open at least so as long as they are on an upward trajectory and your other corals look ok I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure there is no visible pest damage either

OP
OP
Bsarge

Bsarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems ok. Just try and keep them as stable as you can. Some corals take a while...they do look partially open at least so as long as they are on an upward trajectory and your other corals look ok I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure there is no visible pest damage either
I usually dip every coral before I put them in, but these few I got from WWC so I took their advice and didn’t dip this time. The other 4 are doing fine as of right now. I know corals can be sensitive and I’ve heard they can take awhile to get used to things. Just concerned maybe a little paranoid. I don’t want to see anything die haha.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dip every coral before I put them in, but these few I got from WWC so I took their advice and didn’t dip this time. The other 4 are doing fine as of right now. I know corals can be sensitive and I’ve heard they can take awhile to get used to things. Just concerned maybe a little paranoid. I don’t want to see anything die haha.
I totally get it!! Haha if things don't improve in a few days try a dip. And corals are sensitive creatures but that's part of the fun of a reef... knowing you can keep these beautiful, delicate creatures thriving!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back