• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Need Asterina Stars!!!!

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Harlequin decimated the Asterina population quicker than I thought. Anyone have a bunch they can send/sell me?? Thanks!!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of people throwing a chocolate chip starfish in the sump and cutting legs off to feed them ... I personally don't think I'd be cool with doing it.

That does sounds pretty cruel and I would not do that either... that said coral fragging (softies/etc) is kind of similar no? I would never cut an nem in half to have two, but I have seen people do that too.

Plus, stars can detach their legs if they get caught and they grow back. No idea if they have a nerve system capable of feeling pain, but that could be why / how folks thought of going down that path.

I mean, none of us meat eaters are guilt free.

Last edited:

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does sounds pretty cruel and I would not do that either... that said coral fragging (softies/etc) is kind of similar no? I would never cut an nem in half to have two, but I have seen people do that too.

Plus, stars can detach their legs if they get caught and they grow back. No idea if they have a nerve system capable of feeling pain, but that could be why / how folks thought of going down that path.

I mean, none of meat eaters are guilt free.
Oh trust me, I'm not a vegetarian, and I have no issue with people doing it. I just struggle with the idea of doing it myself. I mean, I have a hard time skewering minnows on a hook to go fishing.

Drizzieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I throw the entire chocolate chip star and my harlequin has stayed on it for 3 weeks and won't let go they usually flip them upside down usually to prevent them from moving so no need to cut off limbs.

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I throw the entire chocolate chip star and my harlequin has stayed on it for 3 weeks and won't let go they usually flip them upside down usually to prevent them from moving so no need to cut off limbs.
Instead of being a idiot why not bring the shrimp to the local reef store and donate it. It sounds a little cruel what you are doing just to keep harlequin in your tank

Drizzieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Instead of being a idiot why not bring the shrimp to the local reef store and donate it. It sounds a little cruel what you are doing just to keep harlequin in your tank
I guess name calling is what you resort to? Nice maybe they should stop selling it altogether stop feeding your fish and leave them all in the ocean. Just because something is alive and is fed doesn’t mean anything. You might want to rethink your childish name calling ways and actually think of a solution. The guy wants to keep the shrimp not donate it for starters.

OP
OP
Phil D.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can it be cruel obtaining food for my shrimp???? I love the way she walks around the tank searching for starfish, and if you read my earlier pots, I don't want to have a chocolate chip and cut it's legs off.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can it be cruel obtaining food for my shrimp???? I love the way she walks around the tank searching for starfish, and if you read my earlier pots, I don't want to have a chocolate chip and cut it's legs off.
He was replying to Drizzieee/disapproving of their personal approach.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Phil if you can't find asterinas the pet shop in Mesa always has them in

OP
OP
Phil D.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Phil if you can't find asterinas the pet shop in Mesa always has them in
@LRT Thanks!!! Been wanting to join the AZ Frag group as I have several corals growing big and needing fragged, like my frogspawn, (HUGE!!).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back