Need ATO opinions

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 180 gallon tank in my living room, I plan to have a water reservoir in a closet off of my garage, around 40 feet between the 2. This has been a very rushed process so I didn't really have a chance to plan ahead. I knew I would need some plumbing in the wall so I had a plumber run 2, 1/2in pex lines between the two. Now that I am looking for actual parts everything is 1/4 in. I had planned to put a diaphragm pump near the reservoir then control everything on the tank end. Could I take the Neptune ATK and hook the Neptune solenoid where the pump should be, then use the float valve as the backup. I am pretty nervous about having the diaphragm pump in a state of constant on with only a solenoid to kill the flow.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about turning the pump on with the controller on a timer and use a float switch trun off the sequence if the tank or sump is full. I don't use an Apex so I cannot help with code to do this. My tank is about 35ft from thr garage where my DI storage tank is. I did run 1/4 tubing up through the attic between the tank and the pump. I use a peristaltic pump and have no issues.

OP
OP
bigroost

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to be able to control the pump with the apex, but I would have to bring someone back in to run electrical between the stand location and the pump location. If that is the best way to avoid a disaster I will do it, I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on safe guards that can be used on the sump end.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot run a buss cable to where the pump is and add a power bar at the pump? I have several modules in the garage from my controller. Mine uses flat phone type cable. I think the Apex uses USB cables.

Meo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, i think is easier to make a DIY apex bus cable, cutting half a original one and then cabling 1:1 an extension with a 4 cable wire (shielded one better). Or buy a TypeA/TypeA USB cable of the required lenght. http://www.usbfirewire.com/apex.html sell apex cable of 100-150ft. The total acceptable length of all Aquabus cables combined is 200ft. Since aquabus uses 12V and not 5V you need a USB cable, with a minimum of 35V BIL insulation and it cannot have repeaters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back