Need diatom/hair algae help

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 days of total darkness (cover the tank so no light can get in) can kill the algae and give you a fresh start, you need to be careful that the dying algae doesn't pollute the tank so daily 10% or 20% water changes and running carbon would be best. Vacuum the sand bed first. No feedings during blackout.
the hair algae is difficult to get rid of but easier to keep away, the diatoms will will eventually eat themselves out of house and home, they mainly feed on silicates. The fish and corals will be fine just bring the lights back on slow, reduced photo period and intensity and ramp back up slowly over a few weeks.

The diatoms will not kill themselves in that way because as diatoms die they release silicates furthermore helping the populations.

OP
OP
J

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 or 4 days of total darkness (cover the tank so no light can get in) can kill the algae and give you a fresh start, you need to be careful that the dying algae doesn't pollute the tank so daily 10% or 20% water changes and running carbon would be best. Vacuum the sand bed first. No feedings during blackout.
the hair algae is difficult to get rid of but easier to keep away, the diatoms will will eventually eat themselves out of house and home, they mainly feed on silicates. The fish and corals will be fine just bring the lights back on slow, reduced photo period and intensity and ramp back up slowly over a few weeks.
Wouldn't the coral die if i never turned on the lights.

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diatoms will not kill themselves in that way because as diatoms die they release silicates furthermore helping the populations.
Yes but they will die and eventually will consume all the silicates, unless they are being added to the tank but through water changes, the main thing is to get rid of the hair algae. Even if he gets his parameters in check the hair algae will thrive.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but they will die and eventually will consume all the silicates, unless they are being added to the tank but through water changes, the main thing is to get rid of the hair algae. Even if he gets his parameters in check the hair algae will thrive.
Diatoms are single felled and use allocates to build their cell wall. When diatoms die they release these silicates back into the water furthering the cycle

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they would do not listen to him especially because the no light won’t even kill the diatoms
I myself and many other people have done 3, 4, even 5 day blackouts and nobody's fish or coral died.
The only thing that will die is the algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower brightness of white light. Add liquid Vibr5ant. Your case will take about 3 weeks but it will desolve.
Pin cushion urchin, lawnmower blenny will help clean this up. Ideally a sea hare will wipe this out but be prepared to return to store when all is gone or danoate to another tank with algae as it will starve.
By chance, is this tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
J

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower brightness of white light. Add liquid Vibr5ant. Your case will take about 3 weeks but it will desolve.
Pin cushion urchin, lawnmower blenny will help clean this up. Ideally a sea hare will wipe this out but be prepared to return to store when all is gone or danoate to another tank with algae as it will starve.
By chance, is this tank at or near a window?
The tank gets occasional spotty sunlight through a door, but it depends on season, weather and time. Max 2 hrs durin summer months. Is this chemical reliable cause usually they end up makin stuff worse since i don't have a sump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank gets occasional spotty sunlight through a door, but it depends on season, weather and time. Max 2 hrs durin summer months. Is this chemical reliable cause usually they end up makin stuff worse since i don't have a sump.
That little light would be enough to trigger hair algae and even temperature swings

Cal_stir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOsTE="JFT267, post: 6576418, member: 118747"]
[/QUOTE]
I've tried Vibrant, was a waste of time and money.

OP
OP
J

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little light would be enough to trigger hair algae and even temperature swings
yea, but I can't move the tank and this little bit of light which doesn't even hit every day, or cover a majority of a tank cannot be causing all of this. Since i have been trying to treat it for a while now

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, but I can't move the tank and this little bit of light which doesn't even hit every day, or cover a majority of a tank cannot be causing all of this. Since i have been trying to treat it for a while now
I have my tank on direct sunlight and have I problems the key is to have the light off when the most sunlight is hitting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back