Need feedback from XR30 G5 owners

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a 150g cube, 3'x3', and I was originally very confident that I wanted to put 2 xr30 g5 pros over my predominantly SPS reef. I watched all the BRS videos and got super excited about them. But then I started diving deeper into reviews and found out that while the LEDs themselves may be amazing, the fixture itself leaves something to be desired. Some of the problems being noisy fans, cracked plastic at screw locations and problems with the mobius app/bluetooth. Because of this, I've started looking deeper into other options like the ATI Straton and the Reefi Duo extreme. Although, something always brings me back to the ecotechs and I can't help but wonder if maybe the problems with the xr30's have been resolved or maybe there were only a few squeaky wheels reviewing while the satisfied customers stayed quiet. That is why I'm asking anyone with the gen5's to speak up and let me know your experience. Do you have these issues and if you so, do you feel that the pros outweigh the cons? I know that no light is going to be perfect and check all of the boxes, I just want to make an informed decision.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 G5 XR30 blues... Love them. Big upgrade from my old Kessil AP700s for me personally. Way better growth on the AB+ template. They had connectivity issues on the initial setup. Was a pain but just had to do a reset a few times. But since the firmware updates I’ve had no problem connecting and making changes. And I’ve recently added 4 G5 XR15 blues to my collection of tanks. Zero issues on setup or making schedule/intensity changes.

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3 I bought used were cracked around the screws on the lower part of the light, but I sent pictures to ecotech and boom three new parts showed up at the door. They always looked after me on issues with Vortechs as well. Ecotech customer for life.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Straton and don’t look back, I have 4 over my 8’ that replaced 5 G5 XR30 Blues. I have also owned 5 ReeFi duo extremes

Check out the post in the lighting forum on the Straton, I just answered somebody’s question regarding all 3 of these lights.

I will be posting 5 of the XR30’s with RMS mounts and diffusers once I have time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Straton and don’t look back, I have 4 over my 8’ that replaced 5 G5 XR30 Blues. I have also owned 5 ReeFi duo extremes

Check out the post in the lighting forum on the Straton, I just answered somebody’s question regarding all 3 of these lights.

I will be posting 5 of the XR30’s with RMS mounts and diffusers once I have time
I have read the whole thread posted by reef engineer including your posts and reading that made me consider the Straton in the first place. They seem pretty amazing but one of my hang-ups is that they are so new. Do you think that one would be enough for my tank?

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn’t say it’s quite when the fans come on full blast. But it’s not very often. Honestly my overflow is so loud that’s all I can hear on my 245. I bought it used. You’ll hear the fans when they run if everything else is silent. But I can hear my MP60s on reef crest to when the return pump is off and the overflow is not drowning out everything. You should be able to find some videos and listen to the fans yourself.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read the whole thread posted by reef engineer including your posts and reading that made me consider the Straton in the first place. They seem pretty amazing but one of my hang-ups is that they are so new. Do you think that one would be enough for my tank?

Are you aiming for SPS dominate? The stated claims of 30” is accurate and could’ve covered my tank with 3. I have mine mounted 14” off the waterline. I could take some additional PAR readings from 1 light if you want

Haacheew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you comment on Radion 5G vs. Reefi a bit plz. Reefi is on my shopping list. Thanks.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aiming for SPS dominate? The stated claims of 30” is accurate and could’ve covered my tank with 3. I have mine mounted 14” off the waterline. I could take some additional PAR readings from 1 light if you want
Yes I'm going SPS dominant, I wouldn't mind the additional PAR readings if it isn't too much trouble for you

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I'm going SPS dominant, I wouldn't mind the additional PAR readings if it isn't too much trouble for you

I’ll take a few tomorrow, I have an apogee 510. What depth do you want it knowing my lights are 14” off the water?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you comment on Radion 5G vs. Reefi a bit plz. Reefi is on my shopping list. Thanks.

ReeFi’s are a great light, amazing customer service from @danlu_gt and a warranty to match. You do not get the annoying glare from the lights, can’t hear the fans. My only comment is they need to be mounted higher than an RMS tank mount allows.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back