[Need Feedback] Would you use a Coral ID app?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently in a masters degree for software engineering and for my iOS development class I need a final project and trying to come up with some ideas. One thing that frustrates me is trying to ID coral types and got me thinking, "I wish I could just take a picture/upload a picture to an app and have it tell me what it is and the average cost of it".

I know it is hard to do and sometimes subjective on what type of coral "X" is, but wondering people's thoughts and if anyone would be interested in something like this?

[We need to show proof of market research/people are willing to use it to my professor so any feedback about it would be great]

Some Questions:
  1. If this app existed, would you use it?
    1. If not -- why not?
  2. Would you be willing to pay for an app like this -- if so, how much?
  3. Is this solving a pain point of yours? (Do you have a similar issue/frustration)
  4. Are there any other features of the app you think should be considered and would make you want to use it?
  5. Do you know of anything like this already?

Thanks and any feedback is welcomed!

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in a masters degree for software engineering and for my iOS development class I need a final project and trying to come up with some ideas. One thing that frustrates me is trying to ID coral types and got me thinking, "I wish I could just take a picture/upload a picture to an app and have it tell me what it is and the average cost of it".

I know it is hard to do and sometimes subjective on what type of coral "X" is, but wondering people's thoughts and if anyone would be interested in something like this?

[We need to show proof of market research/people are willing to use it to my professor so any feedback about it would be great]

Some Questions:
  1. If this app existed, would you use it?
    1. If not -- why not?
  2. Would you be willing to pay for an app like this -- if so, how much?
  3. Is this solving a pain point of yours? (Do you have a similar issue/frustration)
  4. Are there any other features of the app you think should be considered and would make you want to use it?
  5. Do you know of anything like this already?

Thanks and any feedback is welcomed!

Aquarimate and Atoll do this very well.
I paid for Aquarimate but the reason it is worth it - I have to admit - is because of the amazing tank tracking features.
An excelent feature on Aquarimate is the possibility to keep a database of all our animals (when introduced, in-tank aging).
When you add a new animal (this is more important for fish) it tracks automatically any incompatibilities among those already in tank and informs possible problems.

Another great feature is to keep track with pictures of our corals (acually a better applilcation does this: Aquarium Time (I also have and paid for it).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back