Need Help~~metal halide bulbs 12000K or 14000K

stan410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all great players,

Finally I made my decision to buy a Metal Halide light with 4 T5ho.
but I don't know which color temperature is better for SPS tank. and I like my tank looks bright not blue.

so, here we go, "Which color temperature is better for me?"
If you have a pic for 12000K or 14000K, it will help a lot.

BTW, there are two brand of metal halide bulbs I can buy, which are BLV(14000K) and Giesemann (12500K). Have u ever heard those brand?If so, help me out.

Thanks .:p

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy one of each. There are way too many factors involved (wattage, ballast used, mogul or DE, etc.) for anyone to make a recommendation. Even if you could find data on these bulbs it would be 10-15 years old. Both of those will work well, your eyes will tell you which one you like best.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using a modern electronic ballast with an "hqi" setting or an M80 ballast the Giesemann bulbs are great for those that don't like the bluer spectrum bulbs. I wouldn't much go by the ratings from the manufacturers as there is no one regulating the kelvin rating and there are 14k bulbs out there that are bluer than 20k bulbs. For instance, the Giesemann Megachrome 14.5k is a crisp white looking bulb with a hint of blue and probably closer to a true 14k, whereas a popular bulb like the phoenix 14k will appear quite blue when run on the same ballast and is actually well over 20k.

The giesemann 12,500 and 14,500 will both grow corals quite well, are very good bulbs, and it's mainly what your prefer is appearance wise. I'd suggest getting the 14.5k if it's available and then using the T5's to manipulate the color to bluer or whiter depending on what you're looking for.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing worth noting, the BLV 14k bulb is the same bulb as the 14k Ushio, I have experience with the Ushio and it's a good bulb. I've also heard rumors that the Giesmann 14.5k is the same bulb, and they do look pretty similar from my recollection, though I used them some years apart. You may just want to buy whichever is cheapest.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being that your running T5's in combination with the MH I would go with a couple 10K bulbs. (XM, Hamilton, Ushio etc) The "pop" can be attained with the T5's while the MH bulbs will be primarily for growth..

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 metal halides.
3 14k Hamilton bulbs.
All 3 were put into the fixtures on the same day.
You would think that they would all look the same when turned on. They don't. Two are more white and one is very blue. Why? The ballasts are the same company, however one of them is a 400 watt. The other 2 are 250's. So you guessed it; the 400 watt is more blue despite the same kelvin and brand and inserted on the same day. And it takes a week or so for the bulb to "break in".

OP
OP
S

stan410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone's opinions are very useful,
is there anyone who can show some pics(12000K or 14000K) that would be the best.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone's opinions are very useful,
is there anyone who can show some pics(12000K or 14000K) that would be the best.

Actually, it's pretty useless unless someone is taking a the picture with the same camera settings and with the white balance adjusted just right. The Giesemann 12,500k could very well be the Ushio 10k bulb as it's believed all Giesmann bulbs are just rebranded Ushio. Again, probably all the more reason to just buy the cheapest of the two bulb brands available.

Here's a VERY old thread that may help and I'd plan on the Gman 12,500k looking close to the Ushio 10k.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667

OP
OP
S

stan410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, it's pretty useless unless someone is taking a the picture with the same camera settings and with the white balance adjusted just right. The Giesemann 12,500k could very well be the Ushio 10k bulb as it's believed all Giesmann bulbs are just rebranded Ushio. Again, probably all the more reason to just buy the cheapest of the two bulb brands available.

Here's a VERY old thread that may help and I'd plan on the Gman 12,500k looking close to the Ushio 10k.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=254667

LOVE you man! Say no more. nailed it!

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Splitting hairs here. So many combinations to play with, that's the fun of it. Try something out based on a combo somebody raved about online, then switch if you don't like it.

What you supplement your halides with is going to make a huge difference in how your tank looks.

fwiw - I run 14K 2 phoenix HQI 250W with 2 ATI Blue plus. Great combo. The blue + washes the tank a bit, but I just love how the corals react to those bulbs supplemented.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back