OP
OP
N

Ntorres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use alot of silicone and it takes atleast 24 hours to dry make sure its the correct 100% water proof silicone
where exactly do I put the silicone?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Got a picture? Bulkhead leaks are common, but two leaks sound like something else.

#reefsqaud
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Got a picture? Bulkhead leaks are common, but two leaks sound like something else.

#reefsqaud
Picture attached, I replaced four bulk heads, but these two are leaking

Message_1594064506990.jpg

OP
OP
N

Ntorres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you tell me where exactly do I put the silicone? I've been dealing with this issue, replaced all my pipes since Saturday.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this sticky

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly installed bulkhead doesn’t need silicone and you should not use it. Drain the overflow clean it very well with vinegar or alcohol. The gasket goes on the top not the bottom. Screw on bulkhead screw and make sure it’s threaded and goes on properly, not warped and forced. Tighten to hand strength otherwise over tightening it will crack and leak.

congrats it’s on. If there is a very tiny and I mean very time leak, wait a few days, usually if will seal on its own. Voila

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gasket goes on the water side, and that surface it sits on needs to be spotless. That looks like some sand and stuff down in that space. Was it a new tank? I have used silicone on exterior of rear drain bulkhead because it's under no water pressure, but yours is on the bottom under full height tank water pressure.

OP
OP
N

Ntorres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not it's not a new tank. The over flow was clean around that area before I install the bulk heads, but then when I added the water, man it leaks a lot!
Both bulk heads on the other side are perfect. I don't get it.
I'm on my way to buy to new bulk heads as I will need to replace them again, cut more pipes

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Ugh, bulkheads. Hate them. Everyone gave you the best advice. The biggest problem is the tightening the last 1/4 turn after the hand tight for me. Here are all my tricks. I grabbed an Irwin combo wrench or some sort of spanner combo wrench to help with the last 1/4 turn.

I was not sure if this is a new tank or not. Check to make sure there is no silicone from the build process too close to the hole that is interfering with the gasket. Gasket on the wet side as mentioned. Drain
the overflow as mentioned. get every last grain of sand out of there, including clean the gaskets. Reseat the gaskets and tighten the nuts hand tight , then1/4 turn. Hopefully should be good.

when you glue in pipe, no pressure on the pipes causing them to pull on the bulkhead

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a lot of bulkhead leaks are caused by chipped glass on the edge of the drilling that will not allow it to seal. Make sure the glass surface is smooth and clean. I doubt the problem is with the bulkhead.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a lot of bulkhead leaks are caused by chipped glass on the edge of the drilling that will not allow it to seal. Make sure the glass surface is smooth and clean. I doubt the problem is with the bulkhead.
The main issue is that the seal is on the outside of the tank. It should be on the inside between the flange and glass with the nut on the outside. Picture in post number 6.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend checking the seals...NOT all seals are made the same. I recently had to replace the seals that came with the REEF Sysnergy Overflow system (Brand news) with the Fiji Sump Refugium Seals...The leaking Literally STOPPED!!!!I also would agree with others ((DO NOT PUT SILICONE) on this....it should form its own seal....no need for the silicone....

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend checking the seals...NOT all seals are made the same. I recently had to replace the seals that came with the REEF Sysnergy Overflow system (Brand news) with the Fiji Sump Refugium Seals...The leaking Literally STOPPED!!!!I also would agree with others ((DO NOT PUT SILICONE) on this....it should form its own seal....no need for the silicone....
6 tanks 12 bulkheads all siliconed shut zero leaks in any of my clients tanks ‍♂️

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back