Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where exactly do I put the silicone?

Picture attached, I replaced four bulk heads, but these two are leaking

Message_1594064506990.jpg
I silicone both sides very generously once you screw it tight it does seal shut my fathers friend showed me how to do it his tank is 22 years running With zero bulkhead leaks

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you siliconing shut a bulkhead? I'm not saying it won't work, but a properly cleaned and placed bulkhead won't need silicone, so I'm a bit confused by its use?

I don't place silicone around the joints of my glued acrylic tanks for the same reason. You can do it and there are some possible disadvantages, but it's simply not necessary and raises some questions in my mind about the original seal.

xcuongx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you install it correctly, you would not need to use any silicon. Just make sure the surface is clean from any debris prior to installing. Use new gasket and it shall be installed on the water side, then tighten it. Also, what i usually do to test them after installation is put a drain pipe in and pour some water to see if there is any leak (tighten more as needed) before i actually use PVC glue to glue it permanently.

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you siliconing shut a bulkhead? I'm not saying it won't work, but a properly cleaned and placed bulkhead won't need silicone, so I'm a bit confused by its use?

I don't place silicone around the joints of my glued acrylic tanks for the same reason. You can do it and there are some possible disadvantages, but it's simply not necessary and raises some questions in my mind about the original seal.
I just follow what the man him self taught me, 22 years of a running tank with no leaks i listen before i try something else

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up 6 tanks with 12 bulkheads this way and nobody has called me back with bad news
I think you might be missing the point of what people are trying to explain here, but in any event, to each their own and happy reefing :)

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So You are saying silicone is bad and i dont agree with that because everyone here with leaking bulkheads used zero silicone seems odd
Silicone pipe glue hell even super glue use it all ! Whatever makes it water tight for the water test Maybe one day i will do a true test all the same tanks and try all methods to see which works The longest under the most pressure

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But were any of the 12 tanks leaking before you applied the silicone? The potential issue with applying silicone to the edges on a bulkhead joint that is leaking is that if you accidentally turn the bulkhead when attaching piping, it will start to leak again, and it is not that hard to turn the bulkhead.

Since it has not been mentioned before, I do like to apply the silicone lubricant to the gasket to help seal it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reeferstin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But were any of the 12 tanks leaking before you applied the silicone? The potential issue with applying silicone to the edges on a bulkhead joint that is leaking is that if you accidentally turn the bulkhead when attaching piping, it will start to leak again, and it is not that hard to turn the bulkhead.

Since it has not been mentioned before, I do like to apply the silicone lubricant to the gasket to help seal it
No they were all new tanks or atleast new to the owner who wanted them redone silicone has been good to me... knocking on wood right now

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This picture clearly shows the seal on the outside. The bulkhead needs to be installed properly befor telling him to use silicone.
I could not tell from the picture for sure, but if the gasket is on the nut side rather than the flange as you say, it is going to leak like a sieve.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced my bulk head twice and still leaks. I don't know what else to do
@Ntorres I've been away for a while and when I came home the first thing I did was to check my tank to see how everything was doing, and found no leaks or deaths while I was gone. :)
I am hoping you were able to use information gained by the R2R community to secure your leaking flanges? (Plumbing is my least favorite task in this hobby and around the house.)
Any update? Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.3%
Back