Need help. Clownfish stopped eating.

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pair of clownfish for over a year now. A few days ago one stopped eating. He still isn’t eating and is starting to get skinny. He is not sick and nothing new has been added to the tank for at least 4 months. He looks fine except is starting to get skinny. I had to change my salt since my local place is not carrying the mix I usually use. All other fish are fine. Suggestions?

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start by double checking the Temperature of the system. Then I would test your salinity as well Ammonia, and Nitrite. Do you have any other fish in the system or have you changed anything else?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s only been a few days as you say you wouldn’t be able to see he is getting skinny unless he has not been eating well for awhile and you have only just noticed his size now because he has stopped eating.

I would also say you shouldn’t rule out he is not ill as you do t know that.

What do you normally feed? he may not really like that food and now he is not eating it’s unlikely that food will get him back eating, I would first try foods to get him to eat, live and frozen, there are so many frozen foods out there, brine shrimp seem to be a good one they like, squid, scallops, clams,, lobster eggs etc etc

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new additions to the tank. The environment in thank has not changed for 4-5 months. Only the salt that I was using and that was recently. I picked up several fish foods just now and will try them and see how he does. Water properties are steady and reading the same as they have for a year now. I keep record of water parameters and check every 2 weeks. They have been steady and consistent. I will try different foods

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several different foods and he does what he has been doing. He gets excited and swims around and comes right up to the food but doesn’t take it. All other fish are eating fine.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several different foods and he does what he has been doing. He gets excited and swims around and comes right up to the food but doesn’t take it. All other fish are eating fine.
How is the clown doing now, did it end well?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back