OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tank that size, I recommend keeping the skimmer, forget about the rollermat, they remove too much nutrient that your coral will want. In my Experience the best "floss" type (Basically what a rollermat is) is polyfil pillow stuffing. I run that in a media cup in my sump, it's super cheap, and filters better than most socks that I have used.

The Skimmer does more than export nutrients, it also hyper-oxygenates the water and helps to keep PH balanced. With a proper size skimmer on your tank, the need for surface agitation in your display is greatly reduced. Most still prefer some surface agitation though for the shimmer effect it produces with the lights as the water ripples I guess.

I am not a fan of chasing numbers; each tank is different. If everything inside your tank is thriving and healthy, then test your water and keep track of your numbers, average them over a few weeks to months to get your tanks Ideal. STOP thinking the numbers SUGGESTED as parameters are Hard Line Goals, they are not, your tank is different and will react different. Most of those numbers "suggested" are by companies selling products to "adjust" your chemistry. Do you really think the entire ocean is a perfect balance of 8.4PH, 1400mag, 450calc, 78degrees temp?

I have found that most of my water chemistry being Spot On requires nothing more than starting with a good RO/DI unit to get 0 tds water, then using a good salt to mix with. I use IO Reef; my PH is consistently between 8.2 and 8.5 if I keep my specific gravity at 1.025 to 1.026.

Balance to me is not chasing numbers trying to get the median hobby perfection, balance is seeing where your tank thrives and keeping it there.
I do the same with the floss, but find it a complete waste to throw it out every week… that’s definitely contributing to the high nitrates but until i find something better it just may be what it is.

I definitely hear you with chasing numbers, but I’m consistently seeing corals slowly shrinking over time and I can’t help but think that’s the reason why. My ats is working though.. i was at like 75-100 nitrates (I know, ridiculous) and now I’m slightly past 50. Hopefully by January it’ll be closer to 10-25

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same with the floss, but find it a complete waste to throw it out every week… that’s definitely contributing to the high nitrates but until i find something better it just may be what it is.

I definitely hear you with chasing numbers, but I’m consistently seeing corals slowly shrinking over time and I can’t help but think that’s the reason why. My ats is working though.. i was at like 75-100 nitrates (I know, ridiculous) and now I’m slightly past 50. Hopefully by January it’ll be closer to 10-25
I rinse my floss in Scalding Hot Tap water weekly when I clean the skimmer cup. replace it about once a month, sometimes once every other month. It sounds like you're on the right track with nutrient reduction though, just keep doing that.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back