Need help dosing Alk

etork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal DT, probably 80 gal system overall. Using TM pro, water mixes up at 6.5 dKh (i have tested this several ways, still unsure why it's mixing up so low)

Wanting to run between 7.5 and 8. Should I be dosing soda ash over the next few days to raise alk to my desired level, and then measure daily to see daily consumption before hooking up to my doser?

Tank inhabitants include 2 clowns, pintail, handful of snails, and i just added a zoa and an acan. Tank has been running for 2.5 months.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gal DT, probably 80 gal system overall. Using TM pro, water mixes up at 6.5 dKh (i have tested this several ways, still unsure why it's mixing up so low)

Wanting to run between 7.5 and 8. Should I be dosing soda ash over the next few days to raise alk to my desired level, and then measure daily to see daily consumption before hooking up to my doser?

Tank inhabitants include 2 clowns, pintail, handful of snails, and i just added a zoa and an acan. Tank has been running for 2.5 months.
If you don't have anything consuming the alk, like corals or coralline alge, you might not have to dose. Just need to make up alk from water changes.
I raised the alk recently in my 75g with baking soda. I added a Teaspoon a day until it was where I wanted. Check weekly after that, or after a water change. There are calculators if you want to to get more precise

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of a salt mix mixing dKH below 7.5 or so. I would double check with a different test.

Young tanks can be erratic with alk consumption so I advise keeping them at dKH of 9 or so.

A 60 cent box of baking soda, set of measuring spoons and the online reef calculator. Done. Heat the baking soda in an oven in a glass bowl for half an hour if you want to convert it to soda ash. Not that big a difference other than soda ash increases pH a bit.

OP
OP
etork

etork

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of a salt mix mixing dKH below 7.5 or so. I would double check with a different test.

Young tanks can be erratic with alk consumption so I advise keeping them at dKH of 9 or so.

A 60 cent box of baking soda, set of measuring spoons and the online reef calculator. Done. Heat the baking soda in an oven in a glass bowl for half an hour if you want to convert it to soda ash. Not that big a difference other than soda ash increases pH a bit.
Both Red Sea and Hanna checker have read the low dKh on several separate occasions. Salt is being mixed to 35% salinity.

I'm gathering that we may not want to start dosing with a pump yet, as the two small corals we have won't be using up that much alk. But maybe I need to adjust with some bicarb, and then measure daily to see if daily soda ash is needed?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But maybe I need to adjust with some bicarb, and then measure daily to see if daily soda ash is needed?

That is a perfect plan. Aim for about 0.5 dKH increase per day, and split your daily doses up throughout the day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back