Need help fixing these levels

Dcprice31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. Just tested my levels in my tank ancant figure out how to fix the high calcium and nitrate levels. For nitrates I've dropped feeding to 1 time a day. Quarter of cube. And bi weekly water changes.

Currently I have a 13.5gal nano that's about 9 months old now. 3 fish and a shrimp. And clean up crew of around 15 critters.
received_294153798924566.jpeg

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. Just tested my levels in my tank ancant figure out how to fix the high calcium and nitrate levels. For nitrates I've dropped feeding to 1 time a day. Quarter of cube. And bi weekly water changes.

Currently I have a 13.5gal nano that's about 9 months old now. 3 fish and a shrimp. And clean up crew of around 15 critters.
I’m not an expert by any means but if you can I’d do a 70 percent water change and then add some bacteria to make up for it. For pH you could look into pH buffers that don’t use calcium . For calcium I would try said water change with IO salt as it doesn’t add to much to the water. For magnesium add supplements and dose, however do it relatively slowly and test as you go. Alkalinity isn’t the worst so try tackling the nitrates, calc, and mag first.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also try to find the source for elevated levels, or else they might persist.

TeamTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test for NO3? Also, Bi weekly water changes on 13 gallons is a bit excessive. How much are you changing? because there is a point at which water changes can add to your calcium and other element levels if you are not giving anything in the tank time to absorb or use those elements.

OP
OP
D

Dcprice31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test for NO3? Also, Bi weekly water changes on 13 gallons is a bit excessive. How much are you changing? because there is a point at which water changes can add to your calcium and other element levels if you are not giving anything in the tank time to absorb or use those elements.
Im using API's test kit, I was doing the bi weekly changes because of the high nitrate levels, I was only doing 1-1.5 gallons on the changes.

TeamTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using API's test kit, I was doing the bi weekly changes because of the high nitrate levels, I was only doing 1-1.5 gallons on the changes.
With API rest kits you need to take them with a grain of salt. No pun intended. But look at those test as a none detected, trace, or full blown red. Small water changes aren't going to really dilute nitrates. Find the cause of the nitrates. Rather it be something dead in the tank, over feeding, uncured rock. Nitrates are from things breaking down so find the cause..up your filter change schedule and go to a bigger water change..40-50% once a week versus several small ones multiple times. That will give your tank time to balance out and let you watch for issues. Would also recommend a different nitrate test kit so you have something else to compare the api test too.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @TeamTurtle, if you are doing small water changes, you won't really be making a dent in such high nitrate measurements, especially if it may just climb back up to the same spot again by the next water change.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get calcium to 650? Either your test kit is broke or you are dosing something.

OP
OP
D

Dcprice31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @TeamTurtle, if you are doing small water changes, you won't really be making a dent in such high nitrate measurements, especially if it may just climb back up to the same spot again by the next water change.
nothing dead in the tank, although just yesterday i noticed under my skimmer in the aio compartment theres a bunch of anomie looking things

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents:
1. I don't trust your measurements. Something is off. Your pH, Ca, NO3, and Mag aren't realistic based on info you've provided.
2. API test kits are notorious for errors
3. With a 13.5gal nano, you can do larger water changes to fix your parameters.
4. Triple check your salinity. High numbers sometimes indicate your salinity is off.
5. Test you salt mix and water...maybe something is going on there. Are you using RODI water? A quality salt that matches your target parameters?

TeamTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing dead in the tank, although just yesterday i noticed under my skimmer in the aio compartment theres a bunch of anomie looking things
That is probably aptasia. How did you buy your rock...was it dry rock, live from LFS? Someone else's tank? It could be leaching nutrients if you did not cure it.

OP
OP
D

Dcprice31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents:
1. I don't trust your measurements. Something is off. Your pH, Ca, NO3, and Mag aren't realistic based on info you've provided.
2. API test kits are notorious for errors
3. With a 13.5gal nano, you can do larger water changes to fix your parameters.
4. Triple check your salinity. High numbers sometimes indicate your salinity is off.
5. Test you salt mix and water...maybe something is going on there. Are you using RODI water? A quality salt that matches your target parameters?
I am using RODI water with red sea salt

OP
OP
D

Dcprice31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably aptasia. How did you buy your rock...was it dry rock, live from LFS? Someone else's tank? It could be leaching nutrients if you did not cure it.
if was live rock from my old tank that sat in storage for a year. I cleaned it soaked it and then cycled my tank for 4 months beofre adding any livestock

TeamTurtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if was live rock from my old tank that sat in storage for a year. I cleaned it soaked it and then cycled my tank for 4 months beofre adding any livestock
That's probably the source then...unless you soaked and did water changes on it while it was soaking..it is leaching.. rocks are like sponges and will hold nutrients..once you kick on the power heads and water starts working its way down into the rock...BAM, nutrient battery. Best advice at this point. Get some dr tims waste away. or take some rock out, not all, and soak in a tub of heated, fresh saltwater with a pump, power head for a few days and test that water. If you get high nitrates again...there's your problem..just keep the rock in there and change 50% of that water once a week...test 24 hours after water change..and wait until the levels go down...way down..then put back in your tank and do the next rock.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back