Need help ID these colonies

linjuncheung

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2018
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve grown these from small frags but never know the name. Any educated guess?

Thanks.

IMG_2730.jpeg


IMG_2742.jpeg


IMG_2745.jpeg
 
first looks like a Bali shortcake, second looks like a. Hyacinthus to me, 3 is idk. All very nice and healthy looking. Good job!
 
first looks like a Bali shortcake, second looks like a. Hyacinthus to me, 3 is idk. All very nice and healthy looking. Good job!
I'd agree with these IDs, to be sure on #2 would need a pic with polyps retracted, it's likely hyacinthus or cytherea, but spicifera is another one that's hard to distinguish from hyacinthus.

Need a closer/ better picture of the first one but from what I can see it has some similarities with acropora donei.
 
I'd agree with these IDs, to be sure on #2 would need a pic with polyps retracted, it's likely hyacinthus or cytherea, but spicifera is another one that's hard to distinguish from hyacinthus.

Need a closer/ better picture of the first one but from what I can see it has some similarities with acropora donei.
Yes, #2 hyacinthus Acropora, aka red planet.

https://www.reefnation.com/products/ora-red-planet
 
Yes, #2 hyacinthus Acropora, aka red planet.

https://www.reefnation.com/products/ora-red-planet
Well, like I mentioned there are a handful of species that are often and easily confused with hyacinthus, it would be impossible to tell without seeing more close up, polyp retracted pics as in OPs pic you can't clearly make out radial corallites arrangement OPs coral could easily be cytherea or spicifera instead of hyacinthus. Anthoceris is another commonly red/ pink tabling acro that when in a really high flow environment / compact growth resembles hyacinthus too.
When red planet was released back in the late 2000's there was a hot debate on RC whether it was a hyacinthus or spicifera because they can look almost identical.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new