Need help identify algae new tank

reefbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank 13G Fluval, took a while to cycle and now recovered from Diatoms. Light on bio load, 2 fish, 2 Astras, 4 small red hermits. Beginner corals are doing well. Duncan has new heads and Zoa’s are growing.

There is a green algae on the rock and glass that is hard to scrape and Astras having a hard time removing. Any advice?

Water parameters are all in control. Do I need more cleaning crew? And suggestions if Turbo snails will help better than the Astras? Thanks much!

OP
OP
reefbie

reefbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attaching a pic. Scrapped glass and cleared the tough algae today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 47

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal new tank algae phase. To much white light will increase algae. Manual removal with weekly water changes. Increase cleaner crew as situation requires.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said. If you have a lot of trouble with astrea not keeping up with the growth on the glass, you can add a Mexican Turbo snail. They usually do the best job in my experience. If the store says they have another type of "turbo" snail that is just as good, they aren't really just as good.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they said. If you have a lot of trouble with astrea not keeping up with the growth on the glass, you can add a Mexican Turbo snail. They usually do the best job in my experience. If the store says they have another type of "turbo" snail that is just as good, they aren't really just as good.
Glass algae is best maintained with manual scrubber or scraper. Snails should be diverse because some like algae and some detritus. Some stay on the rocks or back wall and others on or under the sand.

OP
OP
reefbie

reefbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! You folks are awesome.✨

Will let me the tank settle a bit more. I will change the timers to minimize white light to a few hours. I will try a few variations of cleaning crews.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back