Algae taking over! HELP !!!

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so about 2 week ago ALGAE started to thrive in my tank, growing all over the rocks and some of the corals, I test my water regularly but haven’t been testing lately been busy, I don’t have a clean up crew either other than 2-3 naserius snails, so just wanted to reach out and see how I should tackle this issue, also I only feed once a day and my light schedule is from 4pm - 11pm I have the kessils 180 at 50% on each setting if that info helps, I’ll post some pics later today of what the tank is looking like , not liking it one bit as the alage is over growing on my corals too! Any help advice tips would do ,especially on which type of clean up crew for the long run, not a fan of hermits just cuz they mess around too much lol but any snails, starfish or any other CUC you guys can think of that helps that’ll work! Also I am aware that the CUC is not going to get rid of this issues and it’s the water chemistry and tank maintenance but I need help since I haven’t had no CUC in a long time . Thanks reefers !

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason I asked is because nothing can beat a rip clean, taking apart the tank and rinsing out the waste + surgically removing all the algae at once then putting back together an uninvaded tank.

thats a lot of work in a 75 gallon tank though, it's easier in nanos. what you have to watch out for in 75 gallon tanks is the temptation to dose anything or change anything that rots and kills that invasion in place and leaves it in the tank. that's the benefit of a rip clean: nothing is in the tank left to degrade because we took it apart and rinsed it out correctly and arrested the invasion in its tracks.

but in a large tank where access is usually precluded they tend to dose things that do get a kill

and then the rotting mass turns into dinos or other maladies in succession over and over. it's really really hard to control outbreaks indirectly.

the first step, sight unseen, is to lower the light levels. any corals present can function on less light power and that's step 1 before any testing that you'd change in an algae situation.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need clear tank pics under white light and full tank parameters. Your tank is big enough for a nice diverse cleaner crew but manual removal is the key part.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D3570596-4D9E-4A57-9553-EAE1700E980E.jpeg
C88011A0-A3BB-46FB-BC13-9A4EF8134BC4.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have GHA on your rocks and possibly early dinos on your sand. Get your hands wet with daily manual removal.

What are your complete parameters ans age of the tank?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would scrub the algae off and siphon out. Then get about 70 astrea snails and maybe a couple pincushion urchins. Even with “perfect” parameters you can get algae growing without a cuc. I literally just made a video on this. Lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back