Need help identifying things on my live rock

perryfletcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking on my live rock today and realized I have no clue what stuff is on it. I mean I have a general idea but can specifically tell you the name of any of it and I need your help.
First is a picture of the rock in question with all the stuff on it. I did the best I could with my camera but I am no photo expert when it come to taking pictures inside of a tank.
IMG_6152copy.jpg

Next is some type of coral I think. Either it popped up out of nowhere or I just had not seen it until today.It is a light brown with a lime colored mouth.
IMG_6152copy1.jpg

Next is what I believe is a sponge of some type it is a dark grey almost black with a little light grey in it. It looks like candle wax running down the side of my rock.
IMG_6152copy2.jpg

Next seems to be some type of maroon algae
IMG_6152copy3.jpg

And last is what appears to be green algae
IMG_6152copy4.jpg

Will you all help educate me and tell me exactly what all of this stuff is and let me know if it is good or bad to have?
I have also noticed about 5 new things that look like the are what is called tube worm feather dusters they have tentacles that are white with a maroon stripe running around them but the only problem is that most are in tubes but one is not it is just in a hole so is there a chance that they are aiptasia instead? They are so small right now it is hard to make out much detail.[

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd pic is a manjo anomeme (bad)
3 looks like sponge good
4coraline algae good
5 green algae just part of the start up

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grey/black thing is a sponge. I have a tonga branch that is is almost completely coered with it. Did not know it till I took the tank down because it was being used as a support rock and was under all the other rocks. Should not hurt anything, actually sponges are great because they are good filtration.

I was thinking the same thing as nissanrs. I was like his rock is blue, what the heck

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is ther a such thing as blue coraline algae, and if so could it be introduced to live rock

OP
OP
perryfletcher

perryfletcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it?

Here is some more pictures of it under diffrent camera settings. Unfortunatly it was not spread out it got camera shy on me and closed up.

IMG_61741.jpg

IMG_61731.jpg

IMG_61721.jpg

IMG_61711.jpg

IMG_61631.jpg

IMG_61621.jpg

IMG_61611.jpg

IMG_61601.jpg

IMG_61591.jpg

IMG_61581.jpg

IMG_61571.jpg

am07f

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats a majano anemone, they dont spread as fast as apstasia but they do pretty good damage. And most killers dont work well on them. I have a couple and im fine, im sure you are too.

OP
OP
perryfletcher

perryfletcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for identifing him for me. That sucks to have him. Never the less I am going to go get some pickle lime to start feeding him.

OP
OP
perryfletcher

perryfletcher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a positive id on it. It is called a Tulip Anemone. I think it is a type of majano though and since wal-mart did not have any pickling lime (out of season) I have to find another way to get rid of it.

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some things like this on my live rock but the tentacles are clear maybe whitish on tips and only come out at night. Look pretty cool actually and only one piece of live rock I got from a guy who lives near me.
any ideas?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back