NEED HELP IDENTIFYING

Claymundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers, I need some help identifying this spot on one of my frags. I want to make sure its nothing serious that could spread and if I should just toss it out. Thank you!

20201004_110202.jpg

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an unhappy goniopora. How long have you had it?

If you know anyone who is having success with them you might ask them to hold it for a while to allow it to recover while you explore what parameter is likely off in your tank. It may also be damage from laying upside down in the sand or having a coral fall on it, if either of those are things that happened recently.

I would not toss a small frag like that, they are not nearly the mass of a dead fish and they won't set off your nutrients even if they totally die. They can come back from severe damage but that can only happen if they are in a good environment, which sometimes is just the same tank but a few weeks later after a waterchange or parameter correction.

I wouldn't recommend goniopora for beginners. I don't keep any myself as their requirements are a little different than some of the easier corals.

OP
OP
C

Claymundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an unhappy goniopora. How long have you had it?

If you know anyone who is having success with them you might ask them to hold it for a while to allow it to recover while you explore what parameter is likely off in your tank. It may also be damage from laying upside down in the sand or having a coral fall on it, if either of those are things that happened recently.

I would not toss a small frag like that, they are not nearly the mass of a dead fish and they won't set off your nutrients even if they totally die. They can come back from severe damage but that can only happen if they are in a good environment, which sometimes is just the same tank but a few weeks later after a waterchange or parameter correction.

I wouldn't recommend goniopora for beginners. I don't keep any myself as their requirements are a little different than some of the easier corals.
Thank you! I thought it may be the brown jelly so thats why I was thinking of tossing it. It happened overnight (after a feeding of plankton) nitrates ammonia and phosphates are normal. Calcium at 430. He is in the bottom of the tank so im not sure if he wants more light. Unfortunately don't have par meter just yet.

OP
OP
C

Claymundo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I thought it may be the brown jelly so thats why I was thinking of tossing it. It happened overnight (after a feeding of plankton) nitrates ammonia and phosphates are normal. Calcium at 430. He is in the bottom of the tank so im not sure if he wants more light. Unfortunately don't have par meter just yet.
I've had it for about a week and a half

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's brown jelly, but it definitely looks damaged as well as potentially bleached. Hopefully some Goniopora experts can help out though, as I avoid them due to their notorious difficulty. When I first got in the hobby they were often considered impossible to keep, though many have proven that false in the modern reef keeping era.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.1%
Back