Need help ID'ing issue

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saltwater molly is covered in these marks, as you can see in the picture. She's also been twitching. I think it's flukes but want others' opinions.

IMG_1846.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My saltwater molly is covered in these marks, as you can see in the picture. She's also been twitching. I think it's flukes but want others' opinions.

IMG_1846.jpg
Flukes are not usually visible on a fish like that - you are more likely to see scrapes on the body from the fish scratching. The focus of the photo is a bit off, but I can see some older fin damage and a couple of diffuse spots midbody.

You could give the molly a 5 minute FW dip. If you have a microscope or hand lens, you can then look in the bottom of the dip container for flukes (tough to see unless they are the large Neobenedenia species).

Are there other fish in the tank?
Are they showing symptoms?

You could also just dose the tank 2x with Prazipro, 10 days apart.

jay

OP
OP
aws2266

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are not usually visible on a fish like that - you are more likely to see scrapes on the body from the fish scratching. The focus of the photo is a bit off, but I can see some older fin damage and a couple of diffuse spots midbody.

You could give the molly a 5 minute FW dip. If you have a microscope or hand lens, you can then look in the bottom of the dip container for flukes (tough to see unless they are the large Neobenedenia species).

Are there other fish in the tank?
Are they showing symptoms?

You could also just dose the tank 2x with Prazipro, 10 days apart.

jay

Until recently it was sharing a tank with a small trigger, which is probably the reason for the fin damage. The trigger is in a different tank now but he's twitching a bit. I don't know if that's just stress from moving tanks because he looks fine. The Molly is in a 30gal alone now. What do you think of Paraguard? I picked some up yesterday. It says it helps with fungal, bacterial and viral lesions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until recently it was sharing a tank with a small trigger, which is probably the reason for the fin damage. The trigger is in a different tank now but he's twitching a bit. I don't know if that's just stress from moving tanks because he looks fine. The Molly is in a 30gal alone now. What do you think of Paraguard? I picked some up yesterday. It says it helps with fungal, bacterial and viral lesions.

Paraguard has a poor track record for use in marine tanks, I no longer recommend it except in FW. It also won't control flukes in either water type.

Jay

Back