Need help increasing t-5 lighting schedule for softie/LPS tank.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder with an ATI 4-bulb t-5 fixture (2 blue+, 1 blue actinic, and 1 coral plus). When I changed bulbs after two years, I shocked my corals (lesson learned, I’ll change them sooner next time and one at a time). The light schedule had been 6 hours on after battling and winning an algae problem. When I changed the bulbs, I turned it down to 4 hours. Now I’m gradually ramping back up, about 30 minutes a week. I’m back up to 5 hours/day. My corals are ok but not really growing. I realize this is a very short light schedule. Two questions: First, how many hours is ideal for my tank? Second, can I ramp them up more quickly than I am? Thanks in advance for your help!

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? In nature most coral receive as about 12 hours pet day. When I was using just t5 I ran two for 10 from 10am to 8pm I ran the other two from 12pm to 10pm. This gave me 6 hours at full intensity with 2 hours lower intensity on each end of the day.

I'd might try adding 30 on each end of the day per week until you reach your desired schedule.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals do you have? In nature most coral receive as about 12 hours pet day. When I was using just t5 I ran two for 10 from 10am to 8pm I ran the other two from 12pm to 10pm. This gave me 6 hours at full intensity with 2 hours lower intensity on each end of the day.

I'd might try adding 30 on each end of the day per week until you reach your desired schedule.
Only LPS and softies (acans, frogspawn, Duncan, mushrooms, zoas, trumpet, and rock anemones). I lost one acan colony after changing the bulbs. Everything else looks fine. Thanks!!

Back