Need help L1 and trigger systems sump

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a fun question I have 120 gallon tank with L1 control with reef link. Running 60% on L1
And my return sump are tigger system 39. With 2 one inch return pipe. Has gate valve also to fine tunes
But. I can't get fine tune to no bubble s. That small arena for 2 one inch pipe is way too small. Space is 4x4x14 tall Anyone can helps me with that's please thanks you

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a Vectra L1 return pump with a Trigger systems sump (Tideline 48) but on a 270g tank.
I assume with 2 drains you are using 1 as a full siphon with the gate valve for tuning and the second is emergency overflow with just a trickle of flow (Herbie style). Is that correct? How far open is your gate valve? How far below the water level in your sump are your drain pipes?
Are you getting micro bubbles back to your display?
I would think the filter socks located right after the drain section would take care of any of the bubbles you are getting from your drain section.
At 60% on the L1 you have a pretty high flow rate through your sump. Turning the pump down some may help.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If one drain is an open standpipe and the other a full siphon, you need to open the open standpipe completely and adjust the siphon until there are almost no bubbles in the open drain. That will probably mean opening the siphon something like 80-90% with that much flow. Agree with above that turning down the L1 would also help.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question on your setup just to be sure I understand correctly. I have made an assumption that you have 2 drains from a single overflow, is that correct or do you have dual overflows with a single drain from each? Any pictures of you setup would be helpful as well.

OP
OP
jimmyzhou

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual over flow
9478d2f09e4d0282b66f43705672156c.jpg
815215f5b3c61c2d812e9f3afb82e9e5.jpg

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helps. First thing: since you are running durso standpipes you should not have valves on the drains. You are asking for an overflow as something could end up in the drain and partially block it. The only time you should use a valve is on a drain system that utilizes a full siphon and has a dry (or mostly dry in the case of a herbie drain) emergency drain. You should first open the drain valves fully and keep them that way.

With a Durso Stanpipe, you will always have air. You can minimize the mixing of air and water some by reducing the flow rate through the drain. This way you get more less mixing of the air and water. This should also quiet the drain some as well. I believe a 1" durso is rated at 600 gpm so with 2, a max flow rate of 1,200 gpm. I'm pretty sure a Vertex L1 at 60% is probably pushing more flow than that (assuming minimal head loss). I would turn the pump down and see what that does for you. For reference, I run my L1 on a 270g tank at about 60%. A turnover of 3 - 5 times is all you need. A slower flow rate through your sump will also give air bubbles more time to dissipate and should help with keeping them out of the tank.

OP
OP
jimmyzhou

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helps. First thing: since you are running durso standpipes you should not have valves on the drains. You are asking for an overflow as something could end up in the drain and partially block it. The only time you should use a valve is on a drain system that utilizes a full siphon and has a dry (or mostly dry in the case of a herbie drain) emergency drain. You should first open the drain valves fully and keep them that way.

With a Durso Stanpipe, you will always have air. You can minimize the mixing of air and water some by reducing the flow rate through the drain. This way you get more less mixing of the air and water. This should also quiet the drain some as well. I believe a 1" durso is rated at 600 gpm so with 2, a max flow rate of 1,200 gpm. I'm pretty sure a Vertex L1 at 60% is probably pushing more flow than that (assuming minimal head loss). I would turn the pump down and see what that does for you. For reference, I run my L1 on a 270g tank at about 60%. A turnover of 3 - 5 times is all you need. A slower flow rate through your sump will also give air bubbles more time to dissipate and should help with keeping them out of the tank.

Yes thanks you soo much all takeing care
bfcc6d26d8d196357c7cde61407d2088.png
ab9815ad16ff49bde624d646699f3c2a.png
95b0eb4bdfd2d17ac2f8853520d6123f.png
no more bubble in tank also!!!!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back